none
A question about Hyper-V networking RRS feed

• Question

• Hello to ALL,

I am preparing to pass a Windows 2016 exam and I am preparing to not to fail :) I found a PDF file with sample questions/answers and I tried to solve this puzzle with our CCNE without any luck :) Please, help me to understand how it works..

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 4:12 PM

Answers

• You're correct on 1<->4 and 2<-5>. They communicate because they are on external switches AND in the same VLAN. They will need to use the physical network to reach each other. The question does assume that the physical network is built correctly, but these tests are on Microsoft technology; the physical network is someone else's problem.

Also correct on 7, 8, and 9 because of the internal switch.

1<->3 is a no because they have different VLAN IDs and, according to the question text, all VMs use IPs in the same network. Traffic sent from VM1 to VM3 will not attempt to use a router because the destination is in the same subnet, therefore it will be restricted to using the same Ethernet network as the source. VLANs constrain Ethernet traffic.

Not sure what you're asking about with "VM2 has trunk". Nothing in the question indicates that these VMs are in anything except access mode, and even if VM2 has been configured with a trunk that wouldn't impact 1 or 3 in any way.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

• Marked as answer by Roman Melekh Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:53 PM

All replies

• They're testing if you understand that traffic on internal virtual switches can only travel to other endpoints on that virtual switch, that traffic on external virtual switches can reach endpoints on the same virtual switch and traverse the physical network, and that VLAN assignments constrain Ethernet traffic. If you understand those things, then this question is easy.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog
    I am an independent contributor, not an Altaro employee. I accept all responsibility for the content of my posts. You accept all responsibility for any actions that you take based on the content of my posts.

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 6:57 PM
  •  If you understand those things, then this question is easy.

Not sure, actually.

IMHO VM1 can connect to VM4 only because they are "talking by VLAN ID2"; VM2 can connect to VM5 only, because 7/8/9 are connected to the internal switch and cannot be reached from the other host, but what about 1 and 3? Despite they have VLAN ID, VM2 has trunk, no? 

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:58 AM
  • You're correct on 1<->4 and 2<-5>. They communicate because they are on external switches AND in the same VLAN. They will need to use the physical network to reach each other. The question does assume that the physical network is built correctly, but these tests are on Microsoft technology; the physical network is someone else's problem.

Also correct on 7, 8, and 9 because of the internal switch.

1<->3 is a no because they have different VLAN IDs and, according to the question text, all VMs use IPs in the same network. Traffic sent from VM1 to VM3 will not attempt to use a router because the destination is in the same subnet, therefore it will be restricted to using the same Ethernet network as the source. VLANs constrain Ethernet traffic.

Not sure what you're asking about with "VM2 has trunk". Nothing in the question indicates that these VMs are in anything except access mode, and even if VM2 has been configured with a trunk that wouldn't impact 1 or 3 in any way.

Eric Siron
    Altaro Hyper-V Blog

• Marked as answer by Roman Melekh Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:10 PM
    Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:53 PM
  • Thank you very much for your help.

Now everything is clear.

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:10 PM
  • Hi,

I am pleased to know that the information is helpful to you. If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:37 AM