I am looking for a solution for the automatically receiving of attachments (xml) from encrypted emails on server level RRS feed

• Question

• In windows this is possible e.g. with www.namtuk.com software (new version) but in that case windows have to run 24 hours on a desktop pc.

So I could save that attachment (xml) in a network folder.  

But the most safe is to open and decrypt that emails on server level (e.g. from a php cronjob). 

Is there a possibility somewhere in a microsoft server (e.g. exchange server) to retrieve emails by e.g. a php cronjob and that the emails would be decrypt automatically, if all the certificates are there of course ?

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 11:34 PM

All replies

• A solution for now : a dedicated server also with windows 10 and Outlook (as a service). Namtuks software reads the encrypted emails and decrypt them automatically, the attachments (in this case xml) are saved in a folder. My php cron job on the same server, can read that attachments. My job read also the emails to determine if the email was encrypted, I can read the attachment (xml) because it has the email id in its name. This all has the same effect what I was asking for. So attachments are encrypted direct to the server and do not follow an unsafe route. The server can always be hacked but that is another problem in this world ..

But I am still curious about solutions without needing windows 10 ..

• Edited by PietDE Thursday, November 23, 2017 3:37 PM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 3:36 PM
  • Hi PietDE,

Based on my knowledge, we can only decrypt messages that are either sent from within your organization or messages that are replies to messages sent from within your organization in Office 365 Exchange Online. We cannot decrypt encrypted messages originating from outside of your organization.

For more information about encrypt or decrypt messages in Office 365, please refer to:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Define-mail-flow-rules-to-encrypt-email-messages-in-Office-365-9b7daf19-d5f2-415b-bc43-a0f5f4a585e8?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

In addition, this forum focuses on general discussion for Outlook client. If you have any further question about Exchange server or Exchange Online service in Office 365, it is better to ask a question in Exchange forum for more suggestion.

Exchange Online forum: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/home?forum=onlineservicesexchange 

Exchange server 2013 forum: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/exchange/en-us/home?forum=exchangesvrgeneral

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 24, 2017 7:05 AM
  • Hi Winnie,

That is bad news for me, it is a new subject for me. Are you sure ?

I did next in tests after reading, but in my own Outlook not related to the organisation or network.

I bought two certificates each for one email address, that emailadresses are from the organisation (domain)  but accounts defined in my Outlook. When I send emails not encrypted but digital signed, the certificate have been saved in Outlook or Windows when I saved the sender in my address book. After I can send emails encrypted to both accounts / emailaddresses. 

I bought the Commode certificates each for 1 emailaddress and nowhere have been written they work only within an organisation, but there are certificates only working within one organisation.

So far as I understood can anybody email to another account if both accounts / emailaddresses have an own certificate for that account / emailaddress only. But in your first not encrypted email but digital signed you have to add the sender to your address book for saving the certificate.

If you are sure I can buy also a certificate for my own email address as a test to see if I can communicate encrypted with the other addresses (other domain).

Maybe you write about another kind of encryption .. I hope ..

Meanwhile I have checked this at Commodo organisation and they said it works, so not organisation related!

Regards,

PietDE

• Edited by PietDE Sunday, November 26, 2017 2:25 AM
    Saturday, November 25, 2017 1:43 AM
  • Hi PietDE,

There is a misunderstanding on my side. I notice that your case title is looking for solution at server level which leads me to suspect you want some method to decrypt all messages transported in Exchange server. 

Yes, the client users can purchase the certificate based on email address to encrypt messages in Outlook client side. When adding the recipient or senders to the address book, the certificate signed in email will be saved to contact too. Then you can receive the encrypted emails with the saved certificate in Outlook client.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 27, 2017 10:29 AM