Windows 7 Blue Screen Error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Toshiba laptop and it seems it has been getting a blue screen error for a while now.

General Info 'bout the com: Processor --> AMD Athlon II Dual Core Processor E350, 3GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD. Runs Windows 7 home premium sans a few updates.

I got the laptop back in June and the blue screen errors started popping up around december. Whenever I was done work on the laptop I would just close it to put it into sleep, and at first I thought this nonchalant-ness had caused the error in the first place. So instead of just shutting the lid I started waiting for it to shut down properly and that worked for a while.

But not for long of course and I started getting the error again. I had to run my computer a lot on safe mode because I needed it for my work, and nothing happened whilst I was in that mode. But as I'm sure you're all aware, one can't run on safe mode forever because the temptation to return to a full feature mode is just too great XDD

Anywho to skip through a lot of aggravation, I'm still getting the blue screen about once or twice every two weeks. It's always while I'm running the internet, and the internet will freeze for about 30 seconds and I immediately know a blue screen error will occur. I've read a lot of other posts about the problem lying in the RAM or in the sleep mode or whatever, but I severely lack in teh area of computer diagnostics. However I can carry out just about anything if told what it is I must do ;DD

additional information: most times after the blue screen appears, my computer will restart and another window will appear, providing the following information:

Intel UNDI, PXE - 2.0 (build 083)

Copyright (c) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.0.1.9 (12/15/09)

Check cable connection!

PXE - M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM

No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

altogether frightened by that exclamation mark and seeing as I did not know how to respond to this, I just turn my computer off, wait for about an hour, and turn it back on. This usually fixes the problem for a week or so until another blue screen error comes along.

The only fix I could think of was to do a system restore, so I have been doing this quite often as well. Doing this usually gives me about 2 weeks of blue screen-free time, yet inevitably the error always returns.

My computer just shut down from a blue screen which prompted me to make this post so I can't provide any other information...if you have any idea what can be done, please let me know and I can provide you with anything once my computer starts up again.

Thanks in advance and excuse my lack in technilogical "skillage,"

Saicchan

Monday, March 21, 2011 9:04 PM

Answers

• update:

took the computer to the tech guy where I bought it from, seems the warranty isn't fully up yet so all fixes are free. He told me that the harddrive may have failed because I had limewire on my computer (and uninstalled it after the program was shut down), but I have limewire on my other computers as well and they never got the blue screen error, so I'm not sure. He told me that it was a "hard drive failure" and he would have to order another hard drive from the company so, hopefully that will work. In the end, is that the only way to fix it, if the hard drive is failing?

thanks for all your help,

Saicchan

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:46 AM

All replies

• A bugcheck (BSOD) is a mechanism to protect your PC from damage.

To see the cause I have to take a look at the dumps with the Debugging Tools for Windows.

Please start the Windows Explorer and go to the folder C:\Windows\Minidump. Next, copy the dmp files to your desktop, zip all dmp into 1 zip file and upload the zip file to your public Skydrive [1] folder and post a link here.

if you can't see dmp files, make sure your Windows is configured correctly [2][3] to generate dumps.

André

[1] http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65
    [2] http://support.microsoft.com/kb/254649
    [3] http://blog.nirsoft.net/2010/07/27/how-to-configure-windows-to-create-minidump-files-on-bsod/
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:19 PM
  • update:

took the computer to the tech guy where I bought it from, seems the warranty isn't fully up yet so all fixes are free. He told me that the harddrive may have failed because I had limewire on my computer (and uninstalled it after the program was shut down), but I have limewire on my other computers as well and they never got the blue screen error, so I'm not sure. He told me that it was a "hard drive failure" and he would have to order another hard drive from the company so, hopefully that will work. In the end, is that the only way to fix it, if the hard drive is failing?

thanks for all your help,

Saicchan

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, March 30, 2011 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:46 AM
  • Try to give me the dumps. A hard drive failure can cause tis, too. So the Windows files are damaged and so Windows can crash. This is a possible cause.

To verify this I need the dmp files.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:58 PM