email not received RRS feed

• Question

• Hi experts

one of my application(myapp@mydomain.com) has sent an email to external user lets say someuser@somedomain.com

The external users says that he did not receive the email. please help to troubleshoot this issue. what i understand is i need to check two scenarios( the email might be blocked at external user but from my exchange server end i need to make sure there is no issue at my end)

1. did the application sent an email and did he hit my exchange server.

2. If the email hit my exchange did the email go out of my server.

please help me powershell command to troubleshoot.

Sunday, July 1, 2018 3:15 PM

Answers

• Hi

Based on my experience, we can use the Get-MessageTrackingLog cmdlet to search for message delivery information stored in the message tracking log. When you run this cmdlet on your Exchange server, it didn’t return any items about the messages sent from your application, right?

Message tracking logs only record events for messages once they are in the transport pipeline. If a message is never sent/received because the SMTP connection itself is rejected, the message tracking log will show no useful troubleshooting information. If the Exchange Server is not able to relay to any external domains, I would like to suggest you check if the protocol logging is recording any items about the application:

Troubleshooting Email Delivery with Exchange Server Protocol Logging

https://practical365.com/exchange-server/exchange-server-protocol-logging/

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

Meanwhile, we can test if the internal users can receive the email sent from this application.

Regards,

Gavin Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Risingflight Tuesday, July 17, 2018 4:56 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2018 5:04 AM

All replies

• when i do message trace i dont see any email can it be application issue

Get-MailboxServer | get-messagetrackinglog -sender myappuser@mydomain.com -recipients someuser@somedomain.com 
    -start "07/01/2018 00:00" -end "07/01/2018 23:59" | select  MessageSubject,Timestamp,Eventid,Source,Send
    er,Recipients,SourceContext,MessageId,ServerHostname | Export-Csv C:\output.csv -NoTypeInformation

Sunday, July 1, 2018 5:31 PM
  • Hi

Based on my experience, we can use the Get-MessageTrackingLog cmdlet to search for message delivery information stored in the message tracking log. When you run this cmdlet on your Exchange server, it didn’t return any items about the messages sent from your application, right?

Message tracking logs only record events for messages once they are in the transport pipeline. If a message is never sent/received because the SMTP connection itself is rejected, the message tracking log will show no useful troubleshooting information. If the Exchange Server is not able to relay to any external domains, I would like to suggest you check if the protocol logging is recording any items about the application:

Troubleshooting Email Delivery with Exchange Server Protocol Logging

https://practical365.com/exchange-server/exchange-server-protocol-logging/

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

Meanwhile, we can test if the internal users can receive the email sent from this application.

Regards,

Gavin Gao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Risingflight Tuesday, July 17, 2018 4:56 PM
    Monday, July 2, 2018 5:04 AM
  • will i get any information from transport rules, will the below paths help me

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog\SmtpSend

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\MessageTracking

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Mailbox\Connectivity\Delivery

Monday, July 2, 2018 5:54 AM
  • Hi Risingflight,

Thanks for your reply.

The following location store the send connectors protocol log files:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog\SmtpSend

The message tracking log files exist in %ExchangeInstallPath%TransportRoles\Logs\MessageTracking

For the third path, connectivity logging records the outbound connection activity that's used to transmit messages on Exchange servers:

Connectivity logging in Exchange 2016

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow/transport-logs/connectivity-logging

Regards,

Gavin Gao

• Proposed as answer by Gavin-Gao Friday, July 6, 2018 6:17 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Any update now?

If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as answer for helping more people.

Regards,

Gavin Gao

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:23 AM