none
Restoring Hyper-V VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hyper-V cluster running with CSV on Win2k8 R2 Server Core

DPM 2k10 RTM Trial
    Backing up a VM using the "Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot" option. This works fine.

I am testing the following scenario:
    VM has been stopped and removed from the Hyper-V Cluster. This now needs to be restored.

I have tried restoring using the "Recover to original instance", but this fails with the error:
    DPM was unable to access the cluster resource group SCVMM HVTEST-SQL01 Resources.XXX-HVCLUSTER.XXX.XXX for \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\HVTEST-SQL01 of protection group Hyper-V Test VMs. Recover the datasource using the alternate location workflow. (ID 32579).
    This makes sense as the resource has been deleted from the cluster.

If I Try to restore using the "Specify Alternate Recovery Destination", i get in the "Destination" listing

Cluster Group (XXX-HVCluster.XXX.XX)
    Available Storage (XXX-HVCluster.XXX.XX)

but expanding these gives no further options and i cannot click OK for either of them

I do have the option to open a node in the cluster and restore to C:\ClusterStoage\Volume\ but I'm sure this is not how it should be done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 11:52 AM

Answers

• Restoring VM in this case is simpler than this. Recover the VM to a node in the cluster with target destination as a CSV (C:\clusterstorage\VolumeX). Once the recovery is complete make the VM highly available in the cluster using Failover Cluster UI.
    Thanks Shyama Hembram[MSFT] This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:09 PM

All replies

• It is expected to get the error after deleting the VM and attempting to restore to original location.  In order to get around this, create a dummy VM with the same name (don't need anything there but a VM with that name) and then it should be able to restore to original location.

Restoring to an alternate location will not go back to the original server and thus will let you go to an alternate location/server.

One side note to keep in mind.  If the VM was highly available when it was protected, restoring it will not automatically make it highly available again.  You will need to do that through cluster after the restore.

Thanks, Chris Bu - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:52 PM
  • Hi Chris, thanks for your quick reply

Actually since my first post i tried what you recommended.

However this still doesn't work for me.

The problem is, creating a new (blank) vm creates a new XML file with a different GUID. When i restore, the original XML file is also restored, but this is not linked with the the VM entry in SCVMM.

I have read several articles about messing around with the Symbolic link, but this seems extreme for what should be an easy job.

It seems that it would actually be easier to restore to another hyper-v server (assuming you have one) and then migrating it back to the original server.

EDIT: To be honest i don't see this as being a problem very often. It is just something that came up during testing.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Restoring VM in this case is simpler than this. Recover the VM to a node in the cluster with target destination as a CSV (C:\clusterstorage\VolumeX). Once the recovery is complete make the VM highly available in the cluster using Failover Cluster UI.
    Thanks Shyama Hembram[MSFT] This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 22, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Gold star for Shyama. That worked perfectly. Many thanks :)
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 4:41 PM
  • You must first create new Virtual Machhine in CLS with same name as original deleted VM. Then you can restore the VM to the original location. You can not override the VM in original location when it doesn´t exist. ;-)
    Monday, July 11, 2016 6:59 AM