none
bitlocker failed to encrypt, windows 10 does not start RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Trying to run Bitlocker encryption on a laptop.

The system was restarted for test compatibility with Bitlocker. I entered the password and the system started the repair attempt. Unfortunately, it failed. The partition probably has not been encrypted, because there was no time for that.

Unfortunately it is unavailable and locked.

Manage-bde shows that the partition is locked, size unknown, conversion status unknown, percentage encrypted unknown, method XTS-AES 25, protection status unknown, identification field unknown, automatic unlock disabled, key protectors: numerical password, password.

How to recover data from drive?

krisz1999

Friday, July 27, 2018 7:39 AM

All replies

• You can use Repair-bde for that. Can you boot your computer via installation media or a usb boot device?

Read the answer by Kate Li.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4fefeb53-c681-480b-a4ae-78ca88cfbbbf/bitlocker-encryption-failed-how-to-recover-data?forum=w7itprosecurity

Saturday, July 28, 2018 9:35 AM
  • Hi thanks for your reply.

I tried this before writing here. Unfortunately, no luck.

It looks like the key saved in Active Directory is not accepted. Will repair-bde help if the partition has not been completely encrypted?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/repair-bde

The following limitations exist for the Repair-bde command-line tool:
    Repair-bde cannot repair a drive that failed during the encryption or decryption process.
    Repair-bde assumes that if the drive has any encryption, then the drive has been fully encrypted.

• Edited by krisz1999 Saturday, July 28, 2018 9:09 PM
    Saturday, July 28, 2018 9:07 PM
  • Hi

The problem is that Windows does not start, and I used Bitlocker and start password and no TPM option.

Windows wanted to do a test before encrypting. It proposed to restart the system. Bitlocker wanted to enter the decrypting password and that is it. 

I did not use TPM to encrypt disk, so....

Sunday, July 29, 2018 4:54 PM