none
BitLocker missing Recovery Code RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a local hard drive encrypted by BitLocker, but for some reason Azure did not saved recovery code for this drive.

After BIOS update, computer is asking for PIN (which I know) and Recovery Code (which is missing).

We have latest Win10 1903

Is there any chance to decrypt this hard drive, or just skip Recovery to get access to System?

Brg
    Matt

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Matthew.

What has probably happened: the BIOS update has updated the TPM microcode and now the TPM has changed its operational mode to TPM 2.0

TPM 2.0 however requires windows to be installed onto a GPT formatted drive. If it is not GPT formatted, EXACTLY what you see will happen.

Unless you have the recovery code, the only thing you could do is try to switch the TPM back to operational mode 1.2.

1st step would be to investigate which mode it is in and see whether this can be changed.

Please note that 2.0 is sometimes called "Intel PTT" in the Bios.

If that is not changeable, please investigate whether your drive is formatted as GPT or not. That could be done on the command line of the recovery environment: boot setup ->when at the language selection screen, press shift F10 top open a command line. There, launch these two lines one after the other:

diskpart

list disk

and quote the output. Here's mine:

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
      Disk 0    Online          232 GB  3072 KB        *

->the * below GPT indicates that my disk is GPT formatted and thus TPM2.0-compatiible.

Thursday, July 18, 2019 7:13 AM
  • Hi,
    Was your issue solved?
    If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, July 21, 2019 2:11 PM