Secondary Site Migration RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have my SCCM 2012 lab environment setup and have setup distribution sharing successfully.

After running a migration job several times my the DP on my Secondary site shows up as NO for Not Eligible for Reassignment.

The DP off my secondary site is a server share created as \\SECservname\smspkg$

Is it correct that you can not migrate a DP that is created as a Server Share colocated on the Secondary site? In production we have 100+ secondary sites where the DP is setup this way. I swear I read somewhere you can migrate it but after reading the below I dont know anymore.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712275.aspx#BKMK_UpgradeSS

For a distribution point on the site server computer to be eligible for upgrade, Configuration Manager must be able to uninstall the secondary site including each of the site system roles on that computer. Typically, a shared distribution point on a Configuration Manager 2007 server share is eligible for upgrade. However, when a server share exists on the secondary site server, the secondary site and any shared distribution points on that computer are not eligible for upgrade. This is because when the process attempts to uninstall the secondary site, the server share is treated as an additional site system object, and this process cannot uninstall this object. In this scenario, you can enable a standard distribution point on the secondary site server and then redistribute the content to that standard distribution point. This does not use network bandwidth, and when completed, you can uninstall the distribution point on the server share, remove the server share, and then upgrade the distribution point and secondary site.

Monday, April 7, 2014 7:58 PM

All replies

• Seems cut and dry to me, "when a server share exists on the secondary site server, the secondary site and any shared distribution points on that computer are not eligible for upgrade"

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

Monday, April 7, 2014 8:22 PM
  • Microsoft states you can migrate your secondary sites to a DP in 2012 but has too many fine lines!!!!

I read this below as well!!! Pretty confusing

Beginning with System Center 2012 Configuration Manager, Configuration Manager does not support server shares for site systems but does support the upgrade of a Configuration Manager 2007 distribution point that is on a server share. When you upgrade a Configuration Manager 2007 distribution point that is on a server share, the distribution point type is automatically converted to a server, and you must select the drive on the distribution point computer that will store the single instance content store.

• Edited by Yamini56 Monday, April 7, 2014 8:53 PM
    Monday, April 7, 2014 8:32 PM
  • There's probably some technical reason but Microsoft engineers on an 80/20 rule. The product is designed for the needs of the 80% not the 20%. There was never a good reason (or any reason that I am aware of) to use server share DP's. Therefore very few people did that.

My assumption is that the new content store won't work on a server share is why it's not supported anymore.

Monday, April 7, 2014 10:27 PM
  • This will put us really behind in our project. We have 90 Secondary sites in 07 and with server shares setup as DPs on all of them. Is there anyway to migrate these to 2012? We were planning on making most of these DPs.

From my first post above I noted:

In this scenario, you can enable a standard distribution point on the secondary site server and then redistribute the content to that standard distribution point. This does not use network bandwidth, and when completed, you can uninstall the distribution point on the server share, remove the server share, and then upgrade the distribution point and secondary site.

Wouldnt this require double space if I am redeploying all my packages to the standard DP on the Secondary site?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:59 PM
  • This will put us really behind in our project. We have 90 Secondary sites in 07 and with server shares setup as DPs on all of them. Is there anyway to migrate these to 2012? We were planning on making most of these DPs.

From my first post above I noted:

In this scenario, you can enable a standard distribution point on the secondary site server and then redistribute the content to that standard distribution point. This does not use network bandwidth, and when completed, you can uninstall the distribution point on the server share, remove the server share, and then upgrade the distribution point and secondary site.

Wouldnt this require double space if I am redeploying all my packages to the standard DP on the Secondary site?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Seems like that should have been accounted for in the project plan. :-)

Your answer is right in the docs:

When a server share exists on the secondary site server, the secondary site and any shared distribution points on that computer are not eligible for upgrade. This is because when the process attempts to uninstall the secondary site, the server share is treated as an additional site system object, and this process cannot uninstall this object. In this scenario, you can enable a standard distribution point on the secondary site server and then redistribute the content to that standard distribution point. This does not use network bandwidth, and when completed, you can uninstall the distribution point on the server share, remove the server share, and then upgrade the distribution point and secondary site.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:37 PM
  • Sorry... I missed your follow-up question, would this require double space.

I haven't done it, like I said nobody uses server share DP's, but I suspect that it would leave the content in the server share and use the compressed copy to populate the standard DP. So, again this is just a guess, I think it would. However it MAY be safe to first manually delete the content from the server share so long as the pck files are in tact. Simple to test.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:40 PM
  • I am sure I am not the only person experiencing this. Glad its loud and clear and stated here so others can see it, since its not really stated clearly anywhere else without digging for it. (Yes I mean the fine print!!!!!)
    Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:45 PM