none
Failure backing up the "PerformancePoint Service Application" table RRS feed

• Question

• I've got DPM configured to back up our SharePoint system, and for the most part, everything works fine.

However, whenever an attempt is made to sync the "PerformancePoint Service Application_largenumber" table, it fails with the following description:

Recovery point creation jobs for SQL Server 2008 database system\PerformancePoint Service Application_92d98c9438dd4d5d919bbc4aa692b21a on domain-member have been failing. The number of failed recovery point creation jobs = 2.
     If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on the Error Details to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation failed. (ID 3114)

The path to the SQL temporary folder for SQL Server 2008 database system\PerformancePoint Service Application_92d98c9438dd4d5d919bbc4aa692b21a on domain-member is too long. This can cause backup or recovery jobs to fail. (ID 30163 Details: Internal error code: 0x80990D14)

If I do a manual "Perform consistency check", everything gets "fixed".  I.e., no error indications.

The strange part is there is another table in the same directory which does not have this problem.  So it clearly can't be just related to the path name.

So the question is how to resolve this error.

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:54 PM

Answers

• It is related to the path length (inclusive of the database name). Please try to shorten the database log file absolute path to a lower length and things should work. 

Regards, Deepan [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.] [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]

• Marked as answer by L. Mark Pilant Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:58 PM

All replies

• It is related to the path length (inclusive of the database name). Please try to shorten the database log file absolute path to a lower length and things should work. 

Regards, Deepan [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.] [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]

• Marked as answer by L. Mark Pilant Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:53 PM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:58 PM
  • Please check out the following link describing a similar problem. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dpmsharepointbackup/thread/35ad43bd-3185-458d-aa15-c4654f968de6

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:00 PM
  • I think I see where I was having trouble.  I had thought "path" referred to device & directory to the file, but did not include the file name.  As you indicate it is the fully qualified file name (device, directory path, and file name), I see why it would have trouble with the 255 character size limitation.

After essentially flattening the directory structure use for the database log files, DPM seems to be able to regular synchronizations.

Thank you for your help.

- Mark

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:53 PM