playing avi files (xvid) in media center sends cpu to 100% and results in slow video play and loss of audit sync RRS feed

• Question

• my computer is old.

Athlon xp 2900+, 1 gig ddr 400, Gforce 7300GT AGP, 400 gig PATA HDD.

Playing DVD's in media center is fine.  watching live dvt television works fine.  Playing avi files in media player works fine.  however when i try to play xvid codec or any other codec avi files in media center, the video plays slowly.  the audio plays at the normal speed, and therefore the movie looses sync.

during this, the cpu is going at 100%.

granted its a slow computer, but i would have thought it was able to play back an avi file.  its able to play live dvt television.

im only running 800x600 resolution, with most of the appearance settings switch off.  Windows 7 scored my setup as 3.3, with the cpu been the lowest.

its a clean install of windows 7... and no external codecs are installed.. although i have tried installing xvid and divx.. however it didnt improve this, so i reformatted. 

also... ive tried various nvidia drivers.... including some vista.. and including the ones from windows 7 update.

would be interested to know if the MS guys believe that it is only related to CPU power.  im buying a new motherboard to run an athlon 64.  will 64 bit OS perform better or worse.

thanks.

steve

Thursday, February 5, 2009 10:56 AM

Answers

•  

Since your question or comment has gone unanswered for so long, you can send your report on the device to the development team in this thread. 

Have Comments about Windows 7 Beta

Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:47 PM

All replies

• 1st try installing FFDShow or the entire http://shark007.net package (for windows 7) - It comes with FFDShow. See whether that fixes your probs.
    Personally I have been complaining about the decoders for all MPEG4 & MP3 content in W7 & I guess Vista aswel.

I´m @:
    Windows 7 64bit & XP 32bit
    Corsair PSU 650W
    ASUS mobo M2N-VM DVI
    AMD Athlon +4200 64X2
    Corsair: 2*2Gb DDR2 667
    POV Graphics: 9600GT 1Gb DVI-I [dual link] & HDMI*
    WD HDDs: 1000/500/250/200/60
    LiteOn: DVDRom R/W

* Installed yesterday so I cannot say anything about this part yet.

Everything re. XviD/DivX/H264/MOV/MP4/MP3/AC3/DTS/VOB/MPEG works w/o a hitch (for me in combination with ZoomPlayer)
    • Proposed as answer by M Kraak Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:39 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 2:38 PM
  • I am especially interested in Media Center improvements.

I had similar problems, but I notice it more when connecting to Media Center from the XBox.
    In fact some Movies that will play in Media Center on the PC will stutter and lock up when played from the XBox.

I want to put Win7 on a machine that currently has Vista Ultimate to see an apples to apples comparison.
    I will try the FFDShow suggestion but I did not find that it improved my Vista experience in the past.
    Enterprise Dev
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:59 PM
  • naa.  did that.  no change.

whats annoying is that it seems that if there is a stutter in the video, the audio continues as normal.. leading to sync problems.

wondering if any of the ms guys have seen this.

thanks.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 8:08 AM
  • ===VERY DETAILED READ CAREFULLY===
    1. What I did run into once in a while is that something is encoded so terribly that it confuses the decoder. I usually delete the file & find another one. (100% CPU can happen in these instances)
    2. Sounds like amongst others a n/w problem, you're streaming the data (file) directly to your XboX. (I assume the XboX does the decoding of audio and video) So the XboX is not getting the data to continue playing the content.
    3. The stutter of the file in W7 is next to deal with: defrag/fat32/HD RPM (these are some of the q's I'd have)

1a Always try playing the file on other h/w where possible.
    1b Turn off all a/v enhancements/accelerators.
    1c Try different media players (VLC was mentioned in threads - not my favorite but uses very little memory)
    Future reference: If we are talking about torrent DLs use uTorrent for this purpose & force (I think) RC4 coding. Have a good virusscanner (with p2p protection) + install peerguardian[X] (not yet working on W7 or Vista but keep checking).

Beyond that with ur config you are really pushing it especially the 400MHz DDR memory.

(btw my CPU is hardly doing anything anymore since the graphics card was installed - GPU is dealing with most issues now. - every SETI part is done in 10-15m while this was 1:50h)
    Friday, February 6, 2009 12:10 PM
  • I presume that the same avi movies were playing smoothly in WinXP and WinVista?
    The problem might be the hardware accelerated decoding of the compressed video.
    Are the movies H264 or VC-1 encoded (You can check by downloading the GSpot utility http://gspot.headbands.com/)

Waiting for nvidia to release a new driver *might* fix this.
    Upgrading to a video card with better video decode hardware *might* fix this (geforce 8 or above).  
    With a fast enough CPU then there is no need to rely on the video card's video acceleration, so upgrading the CPU would be my choice on how to fix this.

In the meantime, there is an option in Windows Media Player for "Drop frames to keep audio and video synchronized".  This doesn't fix the problem, it just  keeps audio and video in sync.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:02 AM
  • sorry i wasn't very specific.

Yes the file plays plays fine on my windows XP laptop, which has less power, and plays fine on my 800 Mhz pentium 3 through VLC.

the codecs are installed... and although i used Xvid as my example, ive tried many differed avi files encoded with many difference codecs...

I would have thought a geforce 7 would be perfectly adequate for playing a simple avi file... given that i've been watching avi files for 10 years .. and ten years ago i had a geforce 2!!

I also would have thought a 2600+ cpu would be sufficient.  I don't believe that we should need to buy a new computer every 3 years simply to do the same old things that we've been doing for a decade.

I've used vista but was annoyed that it was such a system resourse hog.  I believed that windows 7 was better and in my experience it is...  except for the problems im having with media center and avi files.

as i said, the files play fine on media player... just not within the media center container.

i didn't know about the dropping frame rates to maintain audio sync.. ill try that.  but i agree that this doesn't fix the problem.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 7:33 AM
  • You are going to find that Vista and Seven requires more cpu power than XP does to do the same activities related to video when using older hardware, and my system is basically the same as yours.  That said you can do things to improve the situation.  Use the basic interface(turn off aero, gadgets, indexing, virus checking, defender, firewall, offline files, disk defraging, and use high performance power settings).   Don't use Media Player(a huge resource hog in Seven).  Use VLC player instead, and you will see much less cpu power used.  There is an anomolie in Seven where VLC running full screen will suck up 100% cpu unless the player controls are visible at the bottom of the screen.   When the player controls disappear the cpu goes to 100% and the video goes jerky, move you mouse down to the bottom of the screen to bring up the player controls and cpu goes back to around 50% and the movie plays fine.
    • Proposed as answer by M Kraak Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:20 AM
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 3:26 PM
  • 3ddeen said:

You are going to find that Vista and Seven requires more cpu power than XP does to do the same activities related to video when using older hardware, and my system is basically the same as yours.  That said you can do things to improve the situation.  Use the basic interface(turn off aero, gadgets, indexing, virus checking, defender, firewall, offline files, disk defraging, and use high performance power settings).   Don't use Media Player(a huge resource hog in Seven).  Use VLC player instead, and you will see much less cpu power used.  There is an anomolie in Seven where VLC running full screen will suck up 100% cpu unless the player controls are visible at the bottom of the screen.   When the player controls disappear the cpu goes to 100% and the video goes jerky, move you mouse down to the bottom of the screen to bring up the player controls and cpu goes back to around 50% and the movie plays fine.

In x64 Ultimate I have not ever had that problem with my setup. CPU runs @ 25-35% when playing any AVI/MKV/MOV etc.... - Also with W7 media center. (I gave the specs already). The old mediaplayer (W98 or so) is also no memory hog either you might want to give it a try. For me ZoomPlayer does the trick for 5+ years (5-8% processor XP P4 1.7/10-15% processor in XP +4200 64x2/25-35% processor W7 +4200 64x2) /  (with a nice unlocking patch for Zoom - sssssst)

btw: oooops 'bout the XBoX - never mind
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:34 AM
  • im not interested whether or not XP 4200+ 64 works or not.  it's significantly more powerful than my system..  and im not interested in xbox. .. nore DDR2 ram.. nor zoomplayer...  and ive obviously turned off all the flashy appearance settings. 

start your own thread if you're not answering my question.  And yes, I'm aware that i can use other players... im testing media center... not VLC.

Given that my setup plays live dvt perfectly fine within media center, and given that my setup plays AVI files perfectly fine via VLC, and WMP, I think MS could look at optimising their codecs or whatever to improve playback of AVI files within the media center container.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:56 AM
  •  

Since your question or comment has gone unanswered for so long, you can send your report on the device to the development team in this thread. 

Have Comments about Windows 7 Beta

Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 8:47 PM
  • I too have a lip sync problem with 7MC and XViD encoded files. The files play perfectly with PowerDVD and VLC on the same hardware (Asus P5N7A-VM mobo with NVidia 9300 graphics, C2D & 4GB ram) and on a seperate stand-alone media player.

Anybody got any other suggestions on how to fix this?
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:42 AM
  • Yes I also have that exact same problem with a similar spec machine. And by the way this same machine played the same file perfectly in Vista Media center.
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 11:48 AM