none
Intune for iOS "Profile Installation Failed. The SCEP server returned an invalid response." RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have an iOS rollout under way using Intune Hybrid (Don't ask! We're going to migrate to Intune Standalone as soon as the rollout is done).

Most users seem to be able to enrol with no issues, however occasionally a user enrolling gets presented with an error "Profile Installation Failed. The SCEP server returned an invalid response."

Having googled the error, I can see search results relating to other MDMs (Citrix XenMobile, SAP Afaria, Symantec MDM, JAMF, BES, Cisco Meraki, Novell and a number of others) so it doesn't seem to be an Intune specific error.

Is this something others have come across and did you fix it? Is there anything we can do from an NDES or Enterprise CA point of view to resolve this? Or is it just an intermittent iOS fault we just have to live with. 

Thanks,

Chris.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hello Chris,

This is often caused by an issue with the device itself. If the customer experiences this error with only one device, or a limited subset of DEP devices, this is likely the case.

If the device still doesn't work after switching to a different WiFi network, or a cellular network, please do a factory reset to fix it.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Chris J Blunt Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:56 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:20 AM

All replies

• I had that error on two DEP iPad's (out of 100 iPad's).
    We just reinstalled iOS on them, then they worked.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 7:00 PM
  • Hello Chris,

This is often caused by an issue with the device itself. If the customer experiences this error with only one device, or a limited subset of DEP devices, this is likely the case.

If the device still doesn't work after switching to a different WiFi network, or a cellular network, please do a factory reset to fix it.

Best regards,

Andy Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Chris J Blunt Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:56 AM
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:20 AM
  • I am not sure it's an option to factory reset a supervised device. Maybe it was possible in the past but in January, 2020 an iPhone I am working on does not show this option and iTunes on a computer gives this error:

"This iPhone is supervised by another computer and cannot be used with this computer."

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:57 PM