none
Can't log into Windows 8.1 virtual machine after changing the Microsoft Account Password

Question

• I use several Windows virtual and real machines with Windows 10 and Windows 8.1.

One of them are running under Parallels Desktop on a Mac and there it said that my Password will expire soon and I have to Change it.

So I changed my Microsoft Account Password on my "main" PC which is a Windows 10 real PC and everywhere I can use the new Microsoft Account Password - but not on the Windows 8.1 under Parallels.
    When I try my old Password it doesn't work also....

I have several things running on that machine and I am not able to log in.

What can I do? 

Markus A. Litters

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 9:27 AM

All replies

• So, to summarize, you have a Windows 10 machine that have Parallels. On Parallels you have a Windows 8.1 virtual machine, right? SO you changed your MICROSOFT ACCOUNT password linked to your Windows 10 machine and now you cannot login to your Windows 8.1 VM anymore. Right?

Are you using the SAME Microsoft Account for both OS installations? In this case you have to use the new updated credentials...

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 12:38 PM
  • Not really:

I have a Windows 8.1 virtual machine on Mac with Parallels.

This on is no longer able to Login.

Windows 10 is running on a real PC with some virtual machines.

All of them use the Microsoft Account and work fine - only the Windows 8.1 on the parallels (on Mac) says all Passwords are wrong. Normally I have a local Admin account - but - tatata - on this machine I forgot it....

Markus A. Litters

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:01 PM
  • Hi mlitters,

According to your description, if it could be caused by Windows login password misconfiguration. Please refer to the link below to follow the steps.

http://kb.parallels.com/en/114193

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:24 AM
  • Thanks for that tipp. That was one of the first I found and tried but it says I have to use Parallels pro or Business when I enter the commands.... I already contacted the parallels support for that because in the top of the article it says it also works for parallels 11.

Changing my Microsoft account Password didn't help.

Markus A. Litters

Friday, October 14, 2016 7:01 AM