none
set logonserver command RRS feed

• Question

• guys,

i my lab environment, i got 2 dc's. 1 Gui and 1 Core, both 2019, and a W10 Pro client.
    When the gui is down, and when i use set logonserver at the Pro, it shows me the gui serves as the logonserver. Even after reboots. Should that be the coreserver because the gui is down? Or is set logonsever passive and doesnt it change.

What i was trying to do, is testing the redundantie of the logon proces for clients and servers.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 9:41 AM

All replies

• Just make sure the client has both domain controller ip addresses listed for DNS and no others such as router or public DNS

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 12:15 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Vicky

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 29, 2020 2:26 AM
  • The logonserver you set is just an environment variable (for your logged on user account -not computer) and has no effect on what domain controller you will connect to. It just shows (showed, if you changed it) what DC your user used as logon server. 

I believe nltest /sc_query:<domain> will show you what domain controller your computer is using. 

I guess you could, in your lab environment, use klist add_bind to specify a preferred DC for Kerberos authentication. Or perhaps nltest /sc_reset to rebuild the secure channel to another DC. 

Friday, May 29, 2020 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Vicky

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 3:31 AM