none
page with software that needs admin, for some basic functionality, better remove it. RRS feed

• Question

• https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/MSG-to-EML-Converter-Batch-11d812bb

ZOOK looks more like malware. I have no idea why it needs admin rights to run? Is this not against some ms rules? Makes me also wonder about a point system that awards someone 7000 points and publishes this type of software.

Friday, May 8, 2020 8:16 PM

Answers

• The TechNet Gallery has been a mess for some time. The example you link is not a script or source code. It is advertising for third party tools. In my opinion, this violate the terms of use. It is SPAM, and the account should be banned. I will email the forum admins, who used to deal with these situations.

The TechNet Gallery will be retired this year. The contributions were supposed to be made read only months ago, and for awhile they were unreadable, but they have since been restored. We are told that the replacement will be GitHub, but I feel that has a different purpose. I don't see how it is appropriate for scripts or learning examples. Of my 38 contributions to the Gallery, I plan instead to publish them on my own web site.

There used to be a link in each Gallery contribution for reporting abuse or inappropriate content. I no longer see it. In the past I reported many spam contributions. But after awhile the reports seemed to have no affect. Most of the spam I saw over the years were ads for email tools, like the one you linked. I can't believe ads for third party tools like this are tolerated. I eventually gave up, especially after hearing that the Gallery would be replaced.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, May 8, 2020 9:13 PM
  • Richard has a legitimate perspective, but here's the official replacement of Gallery:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/samples/browse/

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, September 24, 2020 6:23 PM
    Owner

All replies

• The TechNet Gallery has been a mess for some time. The example you link is not a script or source code. It is advertising for third party tools. In my opinion, this violate the terms of use. It is SPAM, and the account should be banned. I will email the forum admins, who used to deal with these situations.

The TechNet Gallery will be retired this year. The contributions were supposed to be made read only months ago, and for awhile they were unreadable, but they have since been restored. We are told that the replacement will be GitHub, but I feel that has a different purpose. I don't see how it is appropriate for scripts or learning examples. Of my 38 contributions to the Gallery, I plan instead to publish them on my own web site.

There used to be a link in each Gallery contribution for reporting abuse or inappropriate content. I no longer see it. In the past I reported many spam contributions. But after awhile the reports seemed to have no affect. Most of the spam I saw over the years were ads for email tools, like the one you linked. I can't believe ads for third party tools like this are tolerated. I eventually gave up, especially after hearing that the Gallery would be replaced.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Friday, May 8, 2020 9:13 PM
  • Richard has a legitimate perspective, but here's the official replacement of Gallery:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/samples/browse/

Ed Price, Azure Development Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Thursday, September 24, 2020 6:23 PM
    Owner