Vista Home Premium (Code 10 error) RRS feed

• Question

• In Devices, under Portable Devices it show an exclamation point next to Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver.
    I selected Update Driver and it said it did it.
    When I try to access my Maxtor External Drive, I get a code 10 error. It does not appear any where on my computer.
    I did at one time appear, now it is gone.
    I shut down the computer reconnected the Maxtor (Firewire) and put my computer back on.
    I get an error message that Microsoft windows has to load the WPD FileSystem Volume Driver.
    I select okay. It goes throught the process of searching and installing, but then generates an error code 10.
    I go back to the Devices and select property on the WPD which still has an exclamation point and sure enough it says Device cannot start Code 10 error.

Any ideas how to get this file to update. Nothing seems to work.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for your posting!

Many possibilities may lead to the problem, let’s use steps below to narrow them down:

1.    Has the Maxtor External Hard Drive ever worked on Vista before? If it never works fine, please also try to connect it to other computers, including Windows XP-based computers. According to this, please contact the manufacturer to confirm whether it is a damaged device or an incompatible-with-Vista model.

Windows Vista Hardware Compatibility List may help you to check it:
    http://winqual.microsoft.com/hcl/

2.    Based on my experience, Code 10 error is also very possibly caused by legacy drivers for USB devices. Please contact the manufacturer to confirm whether this is a driver problem and require further support.

3.    In case of other possibilities, I also provide you a KB article containing a hotfix. Only a few USB device errors with Code 10 may be caused by the this reason. Therefore, I highly recommend you not to try this step before contacting the manufacturer for information in step 1 and step 2:

Note: I suggest it for your reference and I can’t guarantee it’s the right solution.

Error message on a Windows Vista-based computer that is running a USB composite device: "STOP 0x000000FE"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;934796

You may get the hotfix in the following page (fill the KB Article Number blank with 934796):
    https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1410&WS=hotfix

If I misunderstand anything, please let me know.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Thursday, November 8, 2007 10:03 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Many possibilities may lead to the problem, let’s use steps below to narrow them down:

1.    Has the Maxtor External Hard Drive ever worked on Vista before? If it never works fine, please also try to connect it to other computers, including Windows XP-based computers. According to this, please contact the manufacturer to confirm whether it is a damaged device or an incompatible-with-Vista model.

2.    Based on my experience, Code 10 error is also very possibly caused by legacy drivers for USB devices. Please contact the manufacturer to confirm whether this is a driver problem and require further support.

3.    In case of other possibilities, I also provide you a KB article containing a hotfix. Only a few USB device errors with Code 10 may be caused by the this reason. Therefore, I highly recommend you not to try this step before contacting the manufacturer for information in step 1 and step 2:

Note: I suggest it for your reference and I can’t guarantee it’s the right solution.

Error message on a Windows Vista-based computer that is running a USB composite device: "STOP 0x000000FE"

You may get the hotfix in the following page (fill the KB Article Number blank with 934796):
    https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;en;1410&WS=hotfix

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Thursday, November 8, 2007 10:03 AM
  •  

I'm having a similar problem. Code 10 error on Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume in my Portable Devices. It's called a "compact flash" with an exclamation point next to it.

But my computer is a new desktop, only a couple months old, with Vista pre-installed. It's worked fine in the past, but now all the sudden I can't play music files. I keep getting red X's next to them in media player, and I can't get my computer to play any sounds at all. That's why I went into the device manager for clue, and that's where I saw this problem.

It may not even be related to the sound problem, but it's still there and something that I think needs fixed.

I do not have any external drives hooked to my computer. The only USB cables I have (or have had) is my modem, and my GPS charger. It started shortly after I started using the charger, but I have unplugged it and still have the problem. And I've had the modem plugged in the whole time and never had any problems before all this began, so I doubt that's the trouble now.

I just can't seem to figure out how to fix this error, and I can't figure out why my music and sounds aren't playing.

Can you give me any ideas on either one of these issues?

Saturday, December 1, 2007 5:04 AM
  • I have the same problem as as Ryan.  Code 10 error on Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver in my Portable Devices.  It has a yellow exclamation point next to it.

My computer is about 8 months old with Vista pre-installed.  All of a sudden I could not play music and the media player would just put red x's next to each file.  My computer has no sound at all now.

The only USB cables I have are for my modem and my printer, both have been connect to my computer since the start.  I've tried to "update" the WPD volume driver and it says it's not working. I tried to "uninstall" , etc.  I tried to get help from HP and they said it looked like my driver was corrupt and to delete and then reinstall a new one.  This did not work either. 

HP had me do the same with the driver listed under "sounds" in device manager. Update, uninstall, etc.  I never had any yellow exclamation next to that driver. Although there is only 1 driver listed there and I thought that I saw more than 1 listed months ago.

I've had this problem for about 3 weeks now and I'd really appreciate any help I can get.  I've tried to play cd through the media center.  I've checked all my hardware diagnostic's - all is well, except sound.  I checked the bios, made sure the windows volume was listed as on or eneabled - went thru the whole check list on the HP problems & solutions site for my Pavillon a1742n.  When I tried to update the Realtec Volume drivers I got an error "1028=oslangdec" or something like that.  oslangdec.

I'd love to hear music again and would appreciate your help!

Monday, December 3, 2007 2:08 PM
  • I also encountered this problem.  I went through Device Manager and deleted the WPD Filesystem Volume Driver and my computer resumed playing sound.

Unfortunately, every time I log into a new session in Vista, I get prompted to re-install the driver even though I select the "Don't show this message again for this device" option.
    Wednesday, December 5, 2007 1:11 AM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for your posts!

Firstly, let me summarize the problems you encounter:

General Symptoms

Exclamation mark appears beside Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver under Portable Devices in Device Manager; Uninstalling & Installing the driver has been tried, but fails and prompts Error 10.

Other Symptoms

1.    For Eclecticats: Maxtor External Drive doesn't work;

2.    For Ryan and Carrie: Media player can’t play audio files and has red X mark beside them;

3.    For dad-O: Similar sound problem as Ryan. But if deleting the Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver, playing sound goes fine.

Based on my experience and research, I suspect a confliction between Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver and some 3rd party drivers in these issues. That leads to collapse of the former one.

To confirm this possibility and try to resolve it, please refer to the following KB article, the hotfix provided contains Microsoft WPD FileSystem Driver:

(KB933607) UMDF User-mode drivers that use the Windows SideShow class extension return errors when you process commands asynchronously
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;933607

For the hotfix online application, please use the following website:

https://support.microsoft.com/contactus2/emailcontact.aspx?scid=sw;[LN];1414&from=KBHotfix&WS=hotfix

If the issue persists after installing that hotfix, please let me know. I will go on focusing on this issue and try my best to help you.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 2:49 AM
  • I had a similar problem with my 4 in 1 card reader.  One reader did not register anymore.  I right clicked on my computer and selected manage.  Selected Storage and then Disk Management.  I noticed that I had one disk with no drive letter assigned.  I assigned a drive letter, rebooted and the wpd error code was gone and my card reader was back with the drive letter I assigned.

Doubt this would help with the sound issue but I figured any input might help you find a solution for the hard drive.

Good luck.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 11:46 AM
  • Hey Acehound,

Thanks for your sharing!

Nice day!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:35 PM
  • I have the same symptom on my Vaio laptop with the exclamation at the Volume Driver in Device Manager. However, I have error code 19.  Can I uninstall and reinstall driver.  How do I do that?  Or, are there any fixes for the error code 19 problem. I have seen a couple other people with this problem lately. As far as i know, everything is working on the laptop.  I just can't check the SD slot, since I have no SD Cards.

Thanks,

Ken
    Monday, December 24, 2007 5:31 AM
  • Per your instructions, I downloaded and installed the hotfix.  It did not resolve my problem.  When the WPD driver was installed again, my PC stopped producing sound.

Since my PC works fine without the WPD driver, and I don't want or need the WPD driver for anything I am using, how do I get Vista to stop asking to install the driver?

Every time I log into my system, I am prompted.  Every time, I tell Vista to not ask about installing the driver again, yet it keeps appearing.
    Monday, December 24, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Dear Lionel

Your hotfix doesnt work. My symptoms are the same as the other users, which are as follows:

1 - I get a windows wpd code error 10 on the device manager. The exclamation mark appears besides the device.

2 -  none of my music will play

3 - i have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times to no avail.

Furthermore, other things on my computer are breaking down bit by bit. The icon on my taskbar in relation to my wireless internet says i am not connected but as I am here typing to you, I clearly am online!

Certain things on my system information appear to be unavailable such as my processor and memory capacity. I cannot update my computer using the vaio updates (i have a sony vaio laptop) as it tells me that my model information could not be found on the server. My webcam and microphone have also broken down and following from the lack of music playback I cant hear sound on any video files i could once watch. My msn sounds are also not working. just to add to the confusion, internet explorer sounds seem to be ok, such as watching things on youtube.com.

I believe these are all related as they have happened all at the same time. I also cannot system restore back to a point in the past when everything was happy, because my system restore point then tells me it hasnt restored properly when I attempt this.

Please save me Lionel.

Thank you,

Tiffany

Monday, January 28, 2008 8:36 PM
  •  

i have the exact same problem as Tiffany. I also have a Vaio. it started as the system not recognizing some external memory devices.. then i tried microsoft's recommended hotfixes and have all the aforementioned problems Tiffany has now. mine is even windows vista for business. yet it is the exact same problem.
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 8:58 PM
  • I too have a Vaio.  It will not read off the Canon G9 camera now, though it did initially for several days.  Problem?  Code 10. It will not read off the card reader which is a part of the laptop, not external.  It did initially for several days.  Problem?  Code 10.  Uninstalling these and attempting to reinstall did not fix the problem.  Canon does not have its own driver for the camera, but tells the user to use Microsoft's digital camera driver. Reinstalling the driver failed.  Deleting the onboard card reader and reinstalling failed.

It seems to me that enough people are having this SAME problem with their Vista Home computers that requiring people to request a hotfix is not customer service oriented.  People want to go to Microsoft's site, find the problem, and download the hotfix.  As a customer service provider (yes, Microsoft is a customer service provider, count your customers!), it is imperative to provide answers in a timely fashion than requiring them to request a hotfix and wait 8 hours for a reply.  Many businesses will not be open in 8 hours and people have their own customer service requests to reply to.

Please POST this hotfix. 

Thank you.

JasmyneW

Saturday, February 16, 2008 11:04 PM
  • Dear all with this problem

I found this wonderful link when googling and googling and doing some more good ol googling for the error.

http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/showpost.aspx?postid=1185469&siteid=17&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=15

please go see! it fixed my computer. everything is back to normal.

happy days!

Not sure whether it will help you Jasmyne but if anyone has those issues I listed above this may do the trick.

I would also like to take this opportunity to agree with Jasmyne. Firstly the above link is on the same bloody forum as this thread is and seeing as it is clearly a problem that A LOT of people are having I dont understand the following:

why good ol Lionel didnt direct us to this link instead of the hotfix that didnt work (well it didnt work for me). no offence mate but what the hell?

why microsoft havent thought "hey heres a problem lets fix it so no one else has this problem ever again" seeing as its plastered all over their forums!!!

anywhoo.. hope you will all find happiness like I did. and let us all take the time to say thank you to google.

peace

Tiffany

Sunday, February 17, 2008 1:24 AM
  • I uninstalled the WPD driver.  It was reinstalled when I rebooted.  No more yellow triangle.

Ken

Thursday, February 21, 2008 11:58 PM
  • can you help me with my problem??

my problem is that my network adapter didn't recognized by my computer or it has an error code 10,, broadcom 802.11n network adapter is the name of my adapter and i uses windows vista home premium,, i tried to uninstall it and install it again but nothings happened it just failed,, what shall  i do?? i want to connect an internet but there is no lan card that appears on the network,, but when i look at it in device manager, there is a device installed but it is error or failed,,

Friday, February 29, 2008 3:25 PM
  • I had the same error, and this fixed it for my memory card reader, had to assign it a drive letter. I think this is a bug.
    Monday, March 3, 2008 9:28 AM
  • jphonny:
    I ran into your issue myself today. Was able to resolve it as follows with Dell support. In my case, the probelm occured with an Intel wireless card.

First, the problem begins when you uninstall the driver, then try to reinstall it. Turns out that Vista actually re-sets the product (from Intel) to Broadcom - even though it's the same wireless card. What you have to do is go to the Dell support website and download the original driver, then re-install it. Took Dell about 5 minutes to do. Then voila, it worked fine.

Hope this helps.
    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 3:08 AM
  •  

hi can anyone help!

Recently bought a new laptop and everything was working fine. I installed my printer and mobile phone software today and since then my optical drive is not recognised.  It doesn't appear anywhere and when i go onto device manager it shows a code 10 error associated to the drive.  When i installed the mobile software I think it installed a different service pack. Would this effect my optical driver? If not any other suggestions and what should I do to reverse it?

Thanks

Jon

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:38 PM
  • YOU FREAKING ROCK!

Worked immediately.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 10:51 PM
  •  Acehound wrote:

...  I noticed that I had one disk with no drive letter assigned.  I assigned a drive letter, rebooted and the wpd error code was gone and my card reader was back with the drive letter I assigned. ...

Thanks for this beautiful solution!

After updating Windows Vista Business to Service Pack 1 I got a message after each reboot that I have to install the WPD filesystem volume driver. I also had a yellow exclamation mark in the device manager. After applying a drive letter to each usb drive it's all gone.

Thanks again, Mike
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 6:55 AM
  • I am also having a Code 10 problem and have tried everything I can think of.  I am running Vista Home Premeum with latest updates,

I have an HP DVD1080i installed (internal) in my Shuttle computer. The drive shows on my hardware listing with the yellow sign when I highlight and open the drive information I see the Code 10 (could not start) message. I have tried changing the connection (Master to Slave it is the only IDE drive connected), deleting the drive and reinstalling it, turn off the computer and disconnect the drive and start the computer, then turning the computer off again and reinstalling the drive, but when I turn the comnputer on it again tries to load the driver for the drive with no succes. I have contacted HP (the maker) and they refer me to Microsoft. I am now asking for any help I can get, please.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 11:16 AM
  •  Exiles wrote:
    I had the same error, and this fixed it for my memory card reader, had to assign it a drive letter. I think this is a bug.

So simple, so elegant.
    This worked for me, cheers. Strange bug indeed.

I have 2 card reader devices connected (pc+monitor built in) and 1 was working while the other was not.
    The one which was working had indeed drive letters set up. Simply adding some drive letters (start>run>type: compmgmt.msc) to the other one fixed it.
    (I did an Uninstall/Scan for hardware changed to get it in effect)

Thursday, May 29, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Different than my problem, my drive is internal and only have 1 SATA harddrive and 1 floppy drive along with my HP dvd1080i.

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:39 AM
  • I am having the exact same problem with the DVD drive on my brand new computer, and worked for one day and then... Code 10... it is an HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N ATA.  I have tried all of the things you have tried and recieved the same result (or lack thereof).  If anyone knows the solution to this problem their advice would be much appreciated. 
    Sunday, June 8, 2008 10:16 PM
  • I clicked on that link and got a whole different page on this site about other error issues, is that link suppose to be something else please help? Code 10 audio error happened after windows vista decided to install the new service pack 1 on my new laptop i got it in May its an HP. I will try to call HP also. Thanks

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:40 AM
  • I had same problem with my ipod with its not detecting in explorer as well as in itunes....I searched everywhere including  horrible apple site but was not being able to solve the problem.....thanks to u all guys i finally solved the problem...and specially to Mace404 (cause you mentioned how to add drive letter)........thanks a ton guys...keep up the good work..!
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:46 PM
  • I'm having an error similar to what you guys reported. But its a little bit tricky.

At the device manager I have the yellow exclamation near "Microsoft WPD FileSystem Volume Driver" and I can't see my memory cards on Windows explorer. Looking on WPD properties, the status is: "Reinstall the drivers for this device. (Code 18)".

Of course I just can't reinstall the driver. when I try so, windows came with this: "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attenpting to install it."

I just can't assign a letter to the device, it appears on the Computer management but its impossible to assign a letter.

I've tried a lot of "Windows Solutions", but .... still nothing !

I've updated the card reader driver (Texas Instrument PCIxx12 Integrated Flash Media Controller).

When I plug the Memory Card in the reader, on device manager I see the "MemoryStick Pro" under Disk Drives and under portable devices appears the WPD with the yellow exclamation.

Looks like the system recognizes the device, but cannot mount it as a storage device.

The tricky part is, when I plug a USB PenDrive it works just fine! And it uses the very same WPD driver to mount it as a storage device unit.

The card reader uses to work until a few weeks ago. I think it stopped working when the system performed some automatic updates from the manufacturer (Toshiba) website.

My system is: Toshiba Satellite A215-S4757 running Windows Vista Home Premium.

Any help will be really aprecciated.

Thanks in advance !

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:58 AM
  • indeed

fixed the problem over here aswell! (in both sp0 and sp1)

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 3:09 PM
  • OK, so I went in and assigned the missing letter like everyone else, except it would then immediately recognize the SD card and import about 9 of my pictures before the drive letter would disappear!!  I had to reassign the drive a letter for every nine pictures.  How do I get the drive letter to save??
    Monday, September 8, 2008 10:51 PM
  • Same with mine. I tried everything but de it's gone. Any sugestion is welcome

Saturday, September 13, 2008 6:11 PM
  • I finally just had to do a clean install of windows ultimate.  My laptop came with Windows home premium.  I am only installing the critical/important updates now for windows and things seem to be working fine.  My drives, etc now show up in explorer and have letter names!!!  Very annoying.
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 3:25 PM
  •  

I am getting an error code 10 on an internal CD/DVD drive, what causes it and how do I fix it?
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:59 AM
  • I have the same problem=toshiba satellite

i pressed the 'find solutions' button--nothing happens

Friday, September 26, 2008 11:42 AM
  • I got the same thing no answer on the solution button , i have unistalled reinstalled pulled cables taken out the cd drive reinstalled that and everything but stand on my head and pay 100.00  to fix a problem that they know is a problem . and they don't want to fix it either any more suggestion out there .
    Sunday, October 5, 2008 9:48 PM
  • I kinda have a similar problem with code 10 errors. I recently installed a Cricket Wireless card on my system. Now when I plug my camera or Zune into the USB, the computer tries to load the software but then fails.
    When I look at my device manager it shows the portable devices with either my zune or the digital still camera with an exclamation point.
    I tried to do the msconfig thing and it didn't work.

The camera and zune both worked before.

If you can help that would be great!

Snappy
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:51 AM
  • I am having code 10 issues with windows xp -media version and the disk drive for the SD memory card.  I have run windows update to see if the driver needed updating, but that didn't work.  The drive is enabled but won't "start".  I think the conflict comes with either itunes or the camera and one software is conflicting with another?  The drive has worked, but along the way after an update or download of pictures somthing changed and now the drive is inactive.

Any suggestions on getting the conflict out of there?

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:26 PM
  • I also had the same symptoms after having a problem while installing an application.

Couldn't load WPD drivers .. Code 10 and then issues connecting my iPod and digital cameras. All of which worked on another machine.

I saw various successful entries for other people:

Reloading device drivers from Manufactures Web site .. this worked from my audio which had stopped and my Ipod.

I also saw that refreshing the file usbstor.inf and deleting the cahe file had worked for others. Not for me.

The one which finally solved everything for me  .. all code 10s, WPD and all USB connection devices was as follows:

1. Load the command prompt  : to do this, goto start, and type in CMD into the search field and hit ENTER

2. At the command prompt type the following .. including spaces!!

Net localgroup Administrators Service /add

3. hit enter

4. Exit the command prompt and reboot.

After the reboot all my problems had gone.

Friday, October 24, 2008 1:35 AM
  • Thanks Acehound!! I encountered this problem when I installed VirtualDrive and my PC no longer seemed to recognize any USB/Flash drives that I plugged in. Manually assigning the drive letter fixed the problem.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 4:03 PM
  • I found this worked for me

System:  I'm currently running Vista Home Premium 32 bit with a HP a6130n desktop computer.
    Issue:  WPD FileSystem Volume driver software. Properties status shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
    symptoms: install WPD FileSystem Volume driver software after every login

The issue is the same although i noticed one of the card readers were missing under computer folder.  Instructions are as follows:

1.  Right click computer under the start tab and select manage
    2.  Click on the Device manager tab.  You will see the ! in "WPD FileSystem Volume driver software."
    3.  Click on Disk drives and disable each one until the WPD FileSystem disappears. 
    4.  Reinable all the drives then right click the problem drive and select properties.
    5.  Click on the volumes tab then select "populate" then note down what Disk number the populate assigned it.
    6.  Go back to the Computer Management window.  On the left side is a folder called Disk Management(under the Storage folder).  Select Disk Management.
    7.  At the bottom is a list of disks.  Right click the disk number you populated for the problem drive and select "Change drive letter and paths.."
    8. Assign the drive letter and go back to the Device Manager. 
    9. problem gone.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:56 PM
  •  Yellowswimmer21 wrote:

I also had the same symptoms after having a problem while installing an application.

Couldn't load WPD drivers .. Code 10 and then issues connecting my iPod and digital cameras. All of which worked on another machine.

Reloading device drivers from Manufactures Web site .. this worked from my audio which had stopped and my Ipod.

I also saw that refreshing the file usbstor.inf and deleting the cahe file had worked for others. Not for me.

The one which finally solved everything for me  .. all code 10s, WPD and all USB connection devices was as follows:

1. Load the command prompt  : to do this, goto start, and type in CMD into the search field and hit ENTER

3. hit enter

I did the last 4 steps and it did not help.

Snappy
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:18 AM
  • I went into the manage tab under the device manager but the only ! I had was under portable devices....Zune.
    None of these solutions have worked so far. Microsoft says that it is a Zune issue but that makes no sense to me since the driver will not load properly in the first place.
    The Zune software starts up fine. I can see my collection but not the device.

If anyone has any other solutions please let me know.

Snappy
    Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:33 AM
  • Hello,

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Hello Lionel,

I too am having the same (or similar) issues in relation to a USB memory stick.

It is a Kingmax 4GB sitck that is Vista ready. Please note that the SAME memory stick works on every other machine I try it with, the machines are running the following operating systems. XP Home, XP Pro (Sp 3) and Vista Ultimate.

In addition to the USB key not working my optical drive is not being assigned a drive letter, just like my USB key.

I have tried (with assistance from an MCSE) every fix posted for this issue on Technet and other sites. NONE of them work.

I have installed all hot fixes and Service Pack 2, all to no avail.

The manufacturer had no drivers available for the USB key and up until the 18th of July 2009 both my USB key and optical drive worked as they should.

I have contacted the manufacturer of the laptop in question and they have stated that as the issue is related to the operating system they can only recommend a full rebuild of the system.

My questions are as follows.

Is Microsoft aware of the problems faced by their customers and if so is anytrhing being done about it?

Is there any fix for this issue that ACTUALLY works?

If the answer to either of the above is "no" then is Microsoft prepared to provide compensation to it's customers who have had their hardware rendered partially inoperable?

As it stands this laptop is only useful for web browsing, email and the occasional correspondance. I am unable, due to this issue, to install any software from optical media, nor am I able to manage any of my media files, most of which are stored on optical media. How too am I to backup my data?

On the whole I find Microsoft's response to this issue (which appears to be quite common) that has been going on for over 12 months to be appalling.

• Edited by Emz Ford Saturday, August 8, 2009 2:43 AM
    Saturday, August 8, 2009 2:38 AM
  • I couldn't agree with you more Emz, what is microsoft doing?

Suggestions from the microsoft people and customers on here have not helped my (so far unresolved) problem
    Microsoft must provide products where such glitches are instantly and automatically ironed out via updates. Do they wish their customers to run around sorting their inefficiencies out? I expect the products to work.

I am a valued customer who has used Windows since '95 buying each new operating system as I updated my computers ( had to buy a comp July 2009, I could not choose a system and was foisted with this vista) Am I to prosecute microsoft for supplying goods not fit for purpose and include a claim for my hours attempting to sort this out? This product is a couple of months old! 

The least you can do, microsoft is give us all an update to 7 as soon as it is out. Such a move will pay for itself tenfold in the coming years. Imagine all this frustration and anger being dissipated straightaway and no need to keep lots of staff busy updating stopgap software for years. Bin Vista 

Sunday, August 23, 2009 12:20 AM
  • I am also getting a ton of code 10 errors on my desktop. It is affecting my disk drives, cameras, iphone, ipod, and card readers. None of them are working at all. My desktop which i spent thousands on is now really just a web browser. I have tried uninstalling drivers and rebooting, but nothing happens. Code 10 errors still prevent anything from working. PLEASE, Microsoft, can we have a hotfix?
    Friday, September 11, 2009 10:53 AM
  • Mobiggims1

THANK YOU!!!! I have been stuck for several days trying to get my ipod to sync. Could not see my Ipod under Computer but could see it in device manager under Disk Drives. Under Portable Devices I had a "Microsoft WPD FileSytem Volume Driver" with the yellow asterisk. And nothing I did would fix this. I stumbled across your post above and followed the instructions. And now I have my IPOD BACK!!!!! Thank you very much for takig the time to post.
    Sunday, September 27, 2009 7:37 PM
  • Windows 7... seems to fix all these probs... it's available this month !!

Thursday, October 1, 2009 1:52 AM
  • I also had the same symptoms after having a problem while installing an application.

3. hit enter

Thanks Yellowswimmer21. This solved my problem. I had an issue with my memory card, it was recognised but the sofware for the device wouldn't run. Tried a bunch of things, nothing worked. Tried your suggestion and was soo thrilled when it was all back to working perfect!
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 9:38 AM
  • I tried to do the same, but received access is denied.  Any help?
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Deleted
    Monday, October 3, 2011 11:24 AM