none
SBS 2011 RWA External Access Problem RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently running SBS 2011 Standard. We also have a sonic wall firewall. From inside the network, we can access the RWA page.. (remote.XXX.co.uk) However, as soon as we go external, IE brings up "page cannot be displayed".

We can still access the normal website and OWA from the direct link (www.XXX.co.uk/owa) but just can't access the remote site.

Also, I have an iPhone 4 and when setting up exchange, it asks for a server name. If inside the network, it will automatically go to remote.XXX.co.uk and therefore configure properlly. However, as soon as I leave the network and go external, my iphone also loses the sync. It cannot seem to find remote.XXX.co.uk

Have searched many forums and can't find a solution to the problem.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:49 AM

Answers

• Hi Miles!

It sounds like you dont have a DNS record pointing to your server for your domain. Set up a "A record" pointing to "remote.domainname.com" and remember to setup portforwarding in firewall if its not upnp.

If this was helpful please give a "vote" or mark as "answer".

Regards

Jimmy Svensson. IT Konsult Göteborg Sverige. MCTS SBS Server Configuration MCTS Windows 7 Configuration.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:34 PM
  • Hi Miles,

Thanks for posting here.

You might like to check if you can still resolve the internet domain with pointing to publish DNS server form external by nslookup in order to make sure the A record “remote” had been created under zone “XXX.co.uk”. You should start checking the port forwarder setting on your internet router if it can properly return you internet address of SBS network.

Try also running the ” Fix My Network Wizard (FNCW)” to fix this internet domain name resolution issue:

Fixing Network Problems

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc513958(WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Miles!

It sounds like you dont have a DNS record pointing to your server for your domain. Set up a "A record" pointing to "remote.domainname.com" and remember to setup portforwarding in firewall if its not upnp.

If this was helpful please give a "vote" or mark as "answer".

Regards

Jimmy Svensson. IT Konsult Göteborg Sverige. MCTS SBS Server Configuration MCTS Windows 7 Configuration.
    Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:34 PM
  • Hi Miles,

Thanks for posting here.

You might like to check if you can still resolve the internet domain with pointing to publish DNS server form external by nslookup in order to make sure the A record “remote” had been created under zone “XXX.co.uk”. You should start checking the port forwarder setting on your internet router if it can properly return you internet address of SBS network.

Try also running the ” Fix My Network Wizard (FNCW)” to fix this internet domain name resolution issue:

Fixing Network Problems

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc513958(WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, July 18, 2011 5:59 AM