none
Data Protection Manager 2012 progress bar on initial replication backup? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Relatively new to DPM 2012 (SP1) and we're trying to deploy it across the business.

I've already come across some answers (I can't post links until my account is verified) and found them very unsatisfactory.  If you know you're backing up roughly 500GB of data, why can't you view a progress bar or percentage of progress completed? 

Some of these remote-office WAN links are slow, and I may have to resort to the manual "initial replica method" described in other articles, and it would help me greatly if I could initiate a job and see how far it's come along a few hours later-- I could then look at those numbers and base my decision on what office to send a USB drive for manual copy to that site.

In 17 years of IT work, this is the first backup software I've ever come across that didn't include some sort of indicator-- it's very odd to not know and be at the mercy of "replica creation in progress" and "Replica verification in progress." Both do not give me a sense of being in control of the system, and when my manager asks what's going on and how much longer will it take, "it's done when it's done" is not an acceptable answer.

Is there no way to gather some metrics?  A PowerShell script, perhaps?

ANY suggestions would be welcome!

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 3:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For initial replica, I can see value of having a progress % - however, it's easy enough to go to the monitoring and see the amount of data transferred for the ongoing initial replica job.  As noted, DPM will size the replica according to size of protected data and if you use the formula from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758141.aspx you can estimate the amount of data that needs to be transferred.

Consistency Check is not as cut-n-dry, as we have no idea how much data is out of synch so have no idea how much is going to be transferred.  CC times vary greatly and the amount of time it takes to perform a consistency check against a data source has many variables.

1) The number of files and directories on the protected volume.  Millions of small files will take much longer than a handful of larger files of equal total space used.
    2) If you have SIS enabled, that effects Consistency Check times. (especially if you SIS files in recycle bin, so clear the recycle bin frequently on SIS enabled volumes)
    3) Disk I/O speed on both DPM and Protected server.
    4) How busy each of the disks are. (io/sec, queue length)
    5) network speed and bandwidth / utilization.

As you can tell, a progress percentage would probably be wildly inaccurate for CC.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Matthew Fazio Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:10 PM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For initial replica, I can see value of having a progress % - however, it's easy enough to go to the monitoring and see the amount of data transferred for the ongoing initial replica job.  As noted, DPM will size the replica according to size of protected data and if you use the formula from here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758141.aspx you can estimate the amount of data that needs to be transferred.

Consistency Check is not as cut-n-dry, as we have no idea how much data is out of synch so have no idea how much is going to be transferred.  CC times vary greatly and the amount of time it takes to perform a consistency check against a data source has many variables.

1) The number of files and directories on the protected volume.  Millions of small files will take much longer than a handful of larger files of equal total space used.
    2) If you have SIS enabled, that effects Consistency Check times. (especially if you SIS files in recycle bin, so clear the recycle bin frequently on SIS enabled volumes)
    3) Disk I/O speed on both DPM and Protected server.
    4) How busy each of the disks are. (io/sec, queue length)
    5) network speed and bandwidth / utilization.

As you can tell, a progress percentage would probably be wildly inaccurate for CC.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Matthew Fazio Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:10 PM
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 6:20 PM
  • Thanks, Mike, I'll use the monitoring job method to measure data transferred.

Matthew J. Fazio

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 7:13 PM