Security Advisory 2896666 - Microsoft Fix it solution "Disable the TIFF Codec" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Its regarding the Security Advisory 2896666. 

I have applied the fix explained in the advisory i.e. did a registry entry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Gdiplus and created DWORD DisableTIFFCodec and set value to 1.

After the above fix i found that below behavior:

1. When i open a Docx file having a tiff inserted i get the below message instead of the Tif image.

2. If i open a new document and try to insert a tiff file to it, then it gives either of the below pop-up

Please let me know if this is the expected behavior after the above fix.

I have implemented this fix in few more machines [Win Vista & Win 7 w Office 2007]. But found that in few machine it works as above but for some it doesnt. When i say it doesnt it means i can view the attached Tiff.

Also i have found that the machine where it seems to be working does not seems to be working properly. If i create a document with tiff inserted and save the same file as .docx and .doc and copy both to the testing machine with fix, i see that tiff is not displayed in docx but in doc tiff shows up.

Earlier i had a post in MSDN, as per Barry Wang's suggestion i am creating the same here as well.

Please confirm if my understanding is correct about the behavior of the fix.

Regards

Ramesh

Regards Ram

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 5:21 AM

Answers