locked
Cannot add groups to Audiences RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    I have a site which refuses to accept my attempt to add audience groups to web parts. Trying to add users through IE makes the page load forever without any results, and FF gives me the red font error message in the web part settings that an error has occurred and that it couldn't save the changes.

    This is what I find in the ULS:

    06/27/2011 16:12:13.45     w3wp.exe (0x1A34)                           0x1738    Windows SharePoint Services       General                           75fe    High        Failed to determine definition for Feature with ID '138dbca1-e9f9-4e94-852d-1041386860d7'.  Skipping this feature for element querying consideration.     
    06/27/2011 16:12:13.45     w3wp.exe (0x1A34)                           0x1738    Windows SharePoint Services       General                           75fe    High        Failed to determine definition for Feature with ID '0dc69a3a-6819-484c-ae9c-12887063cbdb'.  Skipping this feature for element querying consideration.

    I searched for these feature GUIDs in the Features folder using Notepad++ but didn't retrieve any results and I cannot find these guids anywhere in lists for OOTB SharePoint features. What could be happening here?

    I wrote an application to add the groups programmatically but the LimitedWebPartManager apparently needs to connect to the content database for which I don't have access to :(

    System
    SharePoint 2007 Enterprise
    Server 2003

    • Moved by Seven M Thursday, June 30, 2011 8:51 AM sharepoint 2007 post (From:SharePoint 2010 - Setup, Upgrade, Administration and Operation)
    Monday, June 27, 2011 9:52 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    I have to ask you if you have the Pulishing Infrastructure enabled on the site collection and the Publishing feature enabled on the site.

    Regards,


    MBohlin
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 9:02 AM
  • Hi MBohlin, thanks for your reply.

    Pulishing Infrastructure was activated but the publishing feature on the site in subject was not activated. After activating it, I still get the same error when I click Apply: "Cannot save the property settings for this Web Part. One or more errors have occurred. See below for details." Where the "details" of the error is "Target Audiences: An error has occurred."

    The error log still repeats these error messages five times:

    Failed to determine definition for Feature with ID '138dbca1-e9f9-4e94-852d-1041386860d7'
    Failed to determine definition for Feature with ID '0dc69a3a-6819-484c-ae9c-12887063cbdb'

    However, when I click OK directly I get no error messages and the group gets added correctly! But any subsequent OK-clicking generates the error again. Strange! :(

    THE WORKAROUND
    This seems to be a permission issue as when I logged on from the server and managed the audiences I'm having no problems at all. I couldn't do this earlier as I wasn't able to use ActiveX controls (which is needed to use the menus in IE). But I'm still not able to operate the settings from a client computer, which really is desireable :/

    Thursday, July 7, 2011 12:25 PM