none
How to find SMS messages in an Outlook Inbox?

Question

• Hi --

I have an account with SMS Sync enabled in Exchange. How does the user search for SMS messages in his Inbox in Outlook 2016?

Many of the SMS messages this user receives come though his cell phone carrier's email to SMS gateway; as such, they show up with what looks like a serial number in the From field.

What is the search query in Outlook that would only return SMS messages? I know Outlook can recognize them, because they have a specific icon in the Type column. But I can't find anything that would show me how to search for specific types.

Thanks
    CL

Monday, November 06, 2017 12:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Chuck,

Based on my research, please try to include messageclass:IPM.Note.Mobile.SMS in the instant search box to find only SMS messages:

For example, if you want to search for SMS messages containing bobby, BOBBY, BoBby, or any other combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, you may type in the instant search box as follows:

Hope this can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Chuck Lavin Saturday, November 11, 2017 6:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 07, 2017 6:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Chuck,

Based on my research, please try to include messageclass:IPM.Note.Mobile.SMS in the instant search box to find only SMS messages:

For example, if you want to search for SMS messages containing bobby, BOBBY, BoBby, or any other combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, you may type in the instant search box as follows:

Hope this can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Chuck Lavin Saturday, November 11, 2017 6:03 AM
    Tuesday, November 07, 2017 6:26 AM
  • Thank you.

That's not documented -- at least nowhere that I could find.

An example:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vba/outlook-vba/articles/item-types-and-message-classes

But that's just what I was looking for. :-)

CL

Saturday, November 11, 2017 6:03 AM