Does Windows 10 support Workplace Join feature? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Does anyone know if Windows 10 supports Workplace Join feature, like Windows 8.1? I'm not able to find an option to perform Workplace join on Win10 Enterprise RTM machine. If I go to Settings->Accounts->Work Access, I only get option to enroll to Intune, but I can't perform device authentication against locally deployed AD FS, like it was possible to do in Windows 8.1.

Is this removed in Windows 10?

Thanks in advance!

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Damir

Sunday, August 2, 2015 10:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Damird,

You are right, Window 10 could use the Workplace Join.

There is a similar function which could be done by work account, we could refer to the following link:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/ad/archive/2015/05/21/azure-ad-on-windows-10-personal-devices.aspx

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know.

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 3:10 AM

All replies

• ah, I've been looking for this same answer for the past hour. Thanks for asking! Anyone . . .?

I'm curious what the future for Workplace Join is going to be as well.  There's of course Azure AD join in W10 but that's using a non-domain, AAD account.

Jason Yates

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 1:59 AM
  • Hi Damird,

Thank you for your question.

Workplace join was not removed on Window 10, we could see it as the following snapshot. If you could not see, please update Window to the lasted to check if you could see all options:

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:31 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for your answer. I do see this option, but this is not for local Workplace Join against AD FS and AD DS. This option starts enrollment for Azure AD and Intune, not locally deployed AD FS. What I need is a Device Registration Service that worked with Windows 8.1. This service, deployed with AD FS on Windows Server 2012 R2 allowed Windows 8.1 non-domain joined clients to perform Workplace JOin and register their devices in AD DS.
    So, can we do it with Windows 10 client?

Thanks,

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you. Thank you! Damir

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:42 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Thanks for your answer. I do see this option, but this is not for local Workplace Join against AD FS and AD DS. This option starts enrollment for Azure AD and Intune, not locally deployed AD FS. What I need is a Device Registration Service that worked with Windows 8.1. This service, deployed with AD FS on Windows Server 2012 R2 allowed Windows 8.1 non-domain joined clients to perform Workplace JOin and register their devices in AD DS.
    So, can we do it with Windows 10 client?

Thanks,

damird,

How were you able to do Workplace Join without Azure AD, or some type of DirSync going on between the cloud and your on-prem stuff?  Looking at the Technet article on Workplace Join, the feature basically used the Azure AD backend to make this possible.  Clients that are registered via this path show up in Azure portal as registered devices under a user's properties.  Windows 10 just seems to be taking this to the next functionality step, as Workplace Join has some limitations, mainly around access control and non-enforcement of policies (something comparable to, say, ActiveSync)

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

Please see here : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn280938.aspx . In Windows 8.1 you were able to perform Workplace Join without Azure AD. I just want to know can you do it with Windows 10.

Thanks,

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:10 PM
  • Hi Damird,

You are right, Window 10 could use the Workplace Join.

There is a similar function which could be done by work account, we could refer to the following link:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/ad/archive/2015/05/21/azure-ad-on-windows-10-personal-devices.aspx

Best Regard,

Jim

Jim Xu

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 3:10 AM
  • We have the same problem. Is there a way to use 'Workspace Join' for on-prem ADFS server backed by internal AD?

We do not understand how Microsoft can introduce a feature in 8.1 and then withdraws in next OS release??

Celox Group - Cloud Provider

Friday, December 9, 2016 1:04 AM
  • We have the same problem. Is there a way to use 'Workspace Join' for on-prem ADFS server backed by internal AD?

We do not understand how Microsoft can introduce a feature in 8.1 and then withdraws in next OS release??

Celox Group - Cloud Provider

You can't? It would not be a first.

Bill

Friday, December 9, 2016 1:23 AM
  • Please note that Add Work or School Account is the replacement for the Workplace Join experience in Windows 8/8.1. For New Add Work or School Account you need to have Azure AD.

Kind regards

Aleksander

Monday, August 7, 2017 5:37 PM