none
Re-aligning activities in MS-Project Professional RRS feed

• Question

• My client has asked me to make a fairly fundamental change to the look of our MS-Project file. Previously we used the default of allowing remaining parts of activities to stay where they were originally planned but they have decided that they want to see the remaining part in front of the current date/status date so that late activities can be more easily seen.

I have tried using the Update Project option to do so but none of my tasks have moved, which is causing some frustration as you can imagine! As background, I did not set up the project, but inherited it when I started working here so I am unsure if some of the defaults have been amended by the previous user.

Is there an easy way for this to be done?

Regards,

John Sinclair.

Friday, June 9, 2017 2:25 PM

All replies

• John,

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Your second sentence says, "...allowing remaining part of activities to stay where they were originally planned but . . . want to see the remaining part in front of the current date/status date...". In my mind, those are the same thing.

I suggest you take a look at the calculation options under File > Options > Advanced group. That allows you to move remaining parts in relation to the status date.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, June 9, 2017 2:52 PM
  • Set a baseline for previous planning and tracking.

The pushing of dates out because of the behavior you describe is something you want, because you a mapping the reality of the project and can start looking for ways to optimizing schedule.  For example, you may need to bring in additional resources or reassign resources.

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Friday, June 9, 2017 4:43 PM
  • Your client is right. If you had a task with 10 days duration which actually started 6 days ago and has an actual duration of two days (the first two days) and a remaining duration of 8 days, all 8 days should be on the right of the status date. If you do not move the incomplete parts to the status date you will not see the "knock on" effect on all of the successors and you will not get an updated project finish forecast.

Put the status date on the chart as a vertical red gridline.

Use the tracking table to input actual start and actual duration.

Use the task, move button to "move the incomplete parts to the status date".

Sunday, June 11, 2017 6:56 AM