none
Is there a need to set Audit Mode when creating Image with MDT? RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a wim file with MDT 2012. Building a reference, installing some apps, settings and updates and then capture.

I am told that there is a need to change to audit mode during the build and set it back to oobe during capture. I have never done it that way and do not understand if there is a need to do so?

Can some one try to explain if it is needed or not? And the reason?

Thank you for the help.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:52 AM

All replies

• I've never used audit mode when building images. There really isn't a reason. 

-Nick O.

• Proposed as answer by Brian Gonzalez Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:01 PM
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 3:11 PM
  • I've only used Audit Mode in situations when the customer wanted to preserve the OEM activation.  MDT does not support OEM licenses, so there would be no situation I could see Audit mode being useful.

-BrianG (http://supportishere.com)

Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:03 PM
  • Thank you for the answers.

I have never used it either. However i am looking for a explanation why it is not needed.

Thank you.

Monday, September 9, 2013 2:37 PM
  • I used to use audit mode when I built my images by hand. I'd boot into audit mode, do all my app installations and customizations and then sysprep and capture. I've decided to start learning MDT to automate the process and it seems as everyone else points out, there is no need for audit mode when your building with MDT. I just create a task sequence and let it do the work.
    Monday, September 9, 2013 3:03 PM
  • If you've never used it before and everything has worked fine, why do you need an explanation for why it is not needed? Generally, someone would need an explanation for why something IS needed.

-Nick O.

Monday, September 9, 2013 3:26 PM
  • Some one is telling me that i need to use it in my images. I would like to come up with a proper explanation and a reason why i should not do it.

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:35 AM
  • The only reason I can see someone suggesting Audit mode is to skip the OOBE, but MDT does that for you. Also if you make use of the suspend script you can customize your reference image before capturing it, so there's no need to use audit mode. The reason to not use audit mode is that it's pointless.
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 3:12 PM