App-v 4.2 published shortcuts / roaming profiles RRS feed

• Question

• I have been working with softgrid/app-v for some time now but I am still having issues with old published shortcuts remaining after the fact.

the main user base has roaming profiles, and while we would like to abolish them, the reality is we will still have them for some time yet. I am under the assumption that they are, at least partially, to blame

scenario: new version of application X comes out, i sequence it up, publish it to the same folder as the previous one, new version # used, etc.. the next day (most users do log out at night) they try launching the application however it's the old shortcut pointing to the now disabled application... launch failed...

i have seen instances where a user may have a half dozen or so old shortcuts that are not being purged after a new publish...

however on my workstation, and i am using a local profile, the shortcuts are removed/added appropriately.

MS suggests redirecting app data, and i'm guessing redirecting start menu would be a good idea too, unfortunately there is no easy UNC path i can use as the folder structure for user data on our NAS is overly complex... i am currently looking at options to 1. fix this deployment issue, and 2. have a more managable solution (because at least with a redirected start menu, i can script the removal of old shortcuts if everything else fails...)

any suggestions would be great
    thanks in advance!
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:34 PM

Answers

• thanks for the feedback guys - a logoff script might be the easiest way to patch this issue up

active upgrade may work but generally the apps i publish aren't an upgrade to their previous, it's usually a new release. also, anytime i publish i use a different version number, or an incremental of the previous. i usually include the version in the shortcut name as well to make it more apparent to the users and our helpdesk which app is the newer one. 4.2 does not have the version in the name locked down, so it's essentially optional.

even with this, shortcuts gets left behind after a disable.. i've read several blog/forum posts asking about the issue, but no one has a clear and 'proper' way to deal with it. hopefully it isn't as much of a deal in 4.5 - or i actually get to do the redirecting i want which should address it to an extent.

thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:09 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 8:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What I propose is to either uses Active Upgrade or to use a different folder under Content for this:

- Active Upgrade would work fine for you if you do not want to change the "Name" and "Version" for an application. if, for instance, you'd like to replace Firefox 3.0.3 by Firefox 3.5.0 and you published it as "Firefox 3" before, I'd use Active Upgrade. You need to "Open for Package Upgrade" the old version to use this

- Using a different Folder is more the likely way if you have to highlight to the users that you are deploying a new version. Then you should prapare (during sequencing) that the ner applications gets its own subdirectroy under the Content folder. You may create "VersionXYZ" folders if you like. Then you publish the new version independently as a "new" one in parallel to the old one. The old version should be "disabled" but not deleted first, also the old files should remain in the content directory. After a while, you can delete that stuff from the Management Console and from the content folder. If you are upgrading the old version on the Sequencer, you'd have to "Save as... New package" the new on.

Both methods have their Pros and Cons, esp. regarding user settings.

In App-V 4.5 by the way the "version" only is shown to the user during Application launching or streaming in the status bar. Right now I don't remeber how it is in 4.2, but in older versions of SoftGrid the "Version" became part of the shortcut, so you could not do withit what you want...

Falko
    Monday, September 21, 2009 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

sometimes we have the same issue. Shortcut creation and roaming profiles seems to be a problem sometimes. A few months ago we used a script to force a start menu cleanup for every user at logoff, because they had outdated shortcuts in their profiles... Maybe someone has a "Best Practice" for this?

Cheers Stefan

Monday, September 21, 2009 5:54 PM
  • thanks for the feedback guys - a logoff script might be the easiest way to patch this issue up

active upgrade may work but generally the apps i publish aren't an upgrade to their previous, it's usually a new release. also, anytime i publish i use a different version number, or an incremental of the previous. i usually include the version in the shortcut name as well to make it more apparent to the users and our helpdesk which app is the newer one. 4.2 does not have the version in the name locked down, so it's essentially optional.

even with this, shortcuts gets left behind after a disable.. i've read several blog/forum posts asking about the issue, but no one has a clear and 'proper' way to deal with it. hopefully it isn't as much of a deal in 4.5 - or i actually get to do the redirecting i want which should address it to an extent.

thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, September 29, 2009 12:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:09 AM
    Monday, September 28, 2009 8:55 PM