Regarding SharePoint 2019 on premise - Office Mobile Apps (Word, Excel, etc...) RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Michael,

I must reconfirm it once again. Even if I just want to edit the file (JUST TYPE WORDS inside) without fancy feature in SharePoint ON PREMISE (ONEDRIVE of PERSONAL SITE), I MUST subscribe OFFICE 365. Otherwise, I still cannot edit the document as well.

TESTING RESULT:

I don't subscribe office 365 but I login by my outlook.com or hotmail.com account, finally I could edit it just type words@@.

Hi there, if you found my comment very helpful then please | Propose as answer | . Thanks and Regards.

• Edited by Will .H Friday, February 7, 2020 7:04 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Friday, February 7, 2020 7:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Will .H Monday, February 10, 2020 7:09 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2020 7:00 AM

All replies

• You need an Office 365 plan to even log into the mobile apps.

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Friday, February 7, 2020 3:43 AM
  • Hi Trevor,

so you mean even if we just want to edit document in the Word app, it is necessary to subscribe office 365 plan. according to the document, it didn't say we cannot edit the file in the Word App. It just say if we want to use premium features, we need to subscribe the office 365?

the following information comes from MSFT article:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

*A qualifying Office 365 subscription is required to use premium features on the iPad®. A qualifying Office 365 subscription is required to create and edit documents in Word, Excel and PowerPoint on the iPad Pro®.

Word

• Insert section breaks
    • Enable columns in page layout
    • Customize headers and footers for different pages
    • Change page orientation
    • Track and review changes
    • Add custom colors to shapes
    • Insert and edit WordArt
    • Add and modify chart elements
    • Highlight table cells with custom color shading

Hi there, if you found my comment very helpful then please | Propose as answer | . Thanks and Regards.

• Edited by Will .H Friday, February 7, 2020 4:53 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2020 4:50 AM
  • Hi Will,

I think you have to subscribe office 365 plan.

Quoted form the article:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/when-do-i-need-an-office-365-subscription-b6518311-893a-4a89-bfcd-bdc56bf52085

With the free Office apps on your mobile device, you can do some core tasks like viewing, creating, and editing files. However, you will need a qualifying Office 365 subscription if:

• Your mobile device is larger than 10.1”.

• You are creating, editing, and saving files to online business storage services such as:

• Google Drive, Box, and other business storage

• OneDrive for business

• Dropbox for Business

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, February 7, 2020 6:55 AM
  • Hi Michael,

I must reconfirm it once again. Even if I just want to edit the file (JUST TYPE WORDS inside) without fancy feature in SharePoint ON PREMISE (ONEDRIVE of PERSONAL SITE), I MUST subscribe OFFICE 365. Otherwise, I still cannot edit the document as well.

TESTING RESULT:

I don't subscribe office 365 but I login by my outlook.com or hotmail.com account, finally I could edit it just type words@@.

• Edited by Will .H Friday, February 7, 2020 7:04 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Friday, February 7, 2020 7:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Will .H Monday, February 10, 2020 7:09 AM
    Friday, February 7, 2020 7:00 AM
  • Hi Will,

Thanks for sharing your test results!

From the article, you need to subscribe office 365 when you are creating, editing, and saving files to online business storage services.

So if you use word just for editing, you don't have to subscribe.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, February 7, 2020 7:13 AM
  • Hi Will,

Please remember to mark your reply as an answer to close this thread.

Thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Monday, February 10, 2020 7:07 AM