July 2019 - Multi level numbering no longer works in Office 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• The multilevel numbering feature no longer work in my 2016 Office software which was recently Updated.  I am guessing that somebody decided to make something better for the sake of the need for an update.  The frustration level of trying to manually create an indented numbered such a waste of time. 

I read some of the previous responses and they truly do not make sense and never address that this is a software issue that needs to be fixed.

Nancy Janyszeski

Office instructor for many years 

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 7:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

<<… The multilevel numbering feature no longer work in my 2016 Office software which was recently Updated

The multilevel numbering feature works well in my office 365 and other versions of Office.

What’s your Office version number? You can click “File” > “Account” to see your version:

You can try click “File”-> “Options” -> “proofing” -> “auto correct options” -> “auto format as you type”, and make sure you have selected the following check boxes:

“set left and first indents with tabs and back spaces”

“Define Style based on your formatting”

“Format Beginning of List Item like the one before it”

If this doesn’t work, please try start Word in Safe Mode to see if it helps. (Press “Win+R” and type “winword /safe”)

If the problem persists, please try to repair Office. Open “Contorl Panel” > “Program and Features”, navigate Office 2016 then right click, choose “change” > “online repair”.

Any problem, feel free to post back.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

• Proposed as answer by Burak VAROL Thursday, July 4, 2019 6:58 PM
    Thursday, July 4, 2019 8:48 AM
  • To create stable numbering in Word, set it up using styles. See the article at https://shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html which uses the built-in heading styles as examples but the same principles works with any set of nine paragraph styles.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Sunday, July 7, 2019 10:30 PM
  • Hi,

How is everything going on with this issue

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

If you find any replies helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum. 

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:44 AM