none
IE11 - Preventing reboot during Installing Applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,

I have customized IE11 using IEAK.  I have set the restart option to No Restart.  If I deploy a machine (with the Install Applications sequence disabled) and then manually install IE11 using my customized .exe no restart happens.

However if I add re-enable Install Applications sequence, which has the same IE11 customzed install .exe if causes a reboot duing the Installing Applications sequence, and basically kills the rest of the deployment.

If I remove IE11 from the applications list, everything is fine - all my other Applications are set to no restart.

How do I completely stop any reboot, from any application, during the Installing Applications sequence.  One of the later applications might be triggering the reboot, ONLY if IE11 is installed.

Thanks

Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:39 AM

Answers

• What's even more annoying (and worrying) is that I use Group Policy to control Windows Updates, with the option 'Do not restart with logged in users' enabled.  When IE11 is installed, a bunch of updates are installed with it - during the reboot, it says 'Configuring updates, both during the reboot and post reboot before Ctrl + Alt + Del

So basically, something is ignoring absolutely every 'no restart' setting I can physically apply.  Way to go Microsoft.  Your software cannot talk to your other software.

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:35 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>However if I add re-enable Install Applications sequence, which has the same IE11 customzed install .exe if causes a reboot duing the Installing Applications sequence, and basically kills the rest of the deployment.<<

It's a bundle?

Could you install IE 11 in a single Task?

for examble:

Reboot

Install Application Reboot

Gruß Toni! Wenn Dir meine Antwort hilft, markiere sie bitte als Antwort! Vielen Dank!

Thursday, May 12, 2016 11:59 AM
  • I am installing IE11 in my Windows 7 task sequence.  I am not using IEAK.  I use the full .exe downloaded from MS.  I call a Install Application task, and use the following install string on the Quiet Install Command line: IE11-Windows6.1-x64-en-us.exe /passive /norestart.  It does not try to reboot.
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 12:30 PM
  • I first tried with the full exe from MS and had the same problem (with the same switches and /quiet)  So I tried the IEAK method.

It is a bit stupid that something can interrupt an MDT deployment, especially when 'no restart' settings are not being honored.  The computer simply should not restart, even if something requests it.  MDT should block/cancel the restart request, more so when it's half way through installing an application which would end up with a corrupt install of that app.

Probably going to have to bin IE 11 and go to Chrome or something else.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:04 PM
  • I am using the Advanced Configuration options in MDT so my applications are installed via them (I do it at the Role level), rather than the task sequence.
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:09 PM
  • What's even more annoying (and worrying) is that I use Group Policy to control Windows Updates, with the option 'Do not restart with logged in users' enabled.  When IE11 is installed, a bunch of updates are installed with it - during the reboot, it says 'Configuring updates, both during the reboot and post reboot before Ctrl + Alt + Del

So basically, something is ignoring absolutely every 'no restart' setting I can physically apply.  Way to go Microsoft.  Your software cannot talk to your other software.

• Marked as answer by Lanky Doodle Tuesday, March 21, 2017 2:35 PM
    Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:17 PM
  • MDT doesn't have any way to block some application causing a reboot.  You could try creating a patched base image.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Friday, May 13, 2016 4:53 AM