none
You Require Permission from [yourself] to make changes to this folder RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my laptop 5 months ago.

6 weeks later, I started having problems. It turned out to be a manufacturer's issue, so I sent my laptop in and got the hard drive replaced. 

I got my laptop back and everything seemed fine. I installed a few programs that I regularly use (they were familiar to me). Now, I can't delete these programs. They are in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)

Whenever I try to delete or move anything from this folder, I get this message:

You Require Permission from [my user name] to make changes to this folder.

I am the only one who uses this computer. I am the administrator. 

I confirmed that I am logged in as the administrator, but I don't seem to have access to the permissions. 

I have gone to Properties>Security and have made sure that my account has full permissions. I have all permissions. I just can't use them to perform any actions that would Edit or Delete any programs or folders under C:\Program Files (x86)

This has been very frustrating and I've had a difficult time getting the help I need. If I can't solve this, I'll have to format my hard drive. 

Saturday, May 13, 2017 4:30 PM

All replies

• Hi EmilyMC,

(1) Most programs should be uninstalled using [Programs and features].  You should not remove them by [Delete] folder/files. (Some programs copy themselves into some folder without using installer. They are exceptions.) 

(2) You don't have to format your hard drive. You can take an ownership of "Program Files (x86)".
    Refer to: How to Take Ownership of Files and Folders in Windows
    Sunday, May 14, 2017 1:47 AM

WINDOWS 10 Pro

Logged in  my MS Account

I have the same problem.

I have installed a new version of Acronis True Image 2018 a data backup system. I have the backup

files on a USB.  I cannot delete a file (previous to the update I could delete Files)

If I delete  I get the message "cannot delete you need  from permission from

PC\Lastname". I am logged in as administrator (MS Account)  and am PC1\Lastname.

I tried cmd  takeown</g>/f file name  no go

properties-> advanced-->change  shows owner:  FirstNameLastname@emalladdress)

So I added PC1\Lastname --> check Name and this was accepted.

But I still cannot delete the file and have the same error message.

By the way I keep getting <g class="gr_ gr_31 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="31" id="31">  in this text mesage!!

Please Help!

• Edited by Bonzadog Saturday, August 26, 2017 4:46 PM
    Saturday, August 26, 2017 4:35 PM
  • This is what happened to me, seems to be related. I've created a folder and tried to delete it after few minutes and got a message that I have to request permissions from myself in order to delete it???!!! Whatever I tried didn't help (changing permissions, trying deleting from admin command prompt). 

However I managed to delete the folder after logout/login.

Monday, October 2, 2017 6:56 AM
  • Hi EmilyMC,

(1) Most programs should be uninstalled using [Programs and features].  You should not remove them by [Delete] folder/files. (Some programs copy themselves into some folder without using installer. They are exceptions.) 

(2) You don't have to format your hard drive. You can take an ownership of "Program Files (x86)".
    Refer to: How to Take Ownership of Files and Folders in Windows
    This does not solve the problem.  I am already the owner, and it says I need permission from myself to delete these files.  I am already myself.  This is not the first time I have seen this ridiculous error message.  Why doesn't Microsoft fix it, or at least tell us how to work around it?
    Sunday, December 3, 2017 9:17 PM
  • Right click on the folder, security, advanced and post a screenshot of that window here.

Andrei V.

Sunday, December 3, 2017 9:59 PM
  • Did you ever find an answer to this?
    Friday, February 9, 2018 1:50 AM
  • This just happened to me. Just like the OP I already had all the privileges for the folder I wanted to delete (I followed Ashidacchi's link and saw that I already had the privileges.)

Turns out the folder must have been in use. It took me a while to figure that out since you usually get an error message telling you that the folder is in use if that is the case but I just got the permissions error described by the OP.

Long story short: Closing all open programs might help. It solved the problem for me.

• Proposed as answer by Da Veed Wednesday, May 2, 2018 2:49 AM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2018 7:43 PM
  • (1) is the most pointless and useless answer i've seen since yahoo answer closed it's flat earth section.
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 1:17 PM
  • You might also consider using something like LockHunter or rebooting in safe mode to delete certain files if they’re in use.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 3:01 PM
  • (2) is the second most.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 4:43 PM