Uninstall Exchange 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• OK here goes:

I am removing Exchange 2016 from a server as I want to start again from scratch on another server. Exchange was partly configured but never used so no problems deleting everything. There is no other Exchange server in our organisation at all.  The uninstall fell over so I went through the list of actions to disable or delete all mailboxes including public and arbitration. So now I get:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -PublicFolder
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -Arbitration
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>

ie. no mailboxes at all. However the setup still fails with exactly the same error as before I removed and disabled the mailboxes, which is:

Error:
    Uninstall can't continue. Errors:
    This mailbox database contains one or more mailboxes, mailbox plans, archive mailboxes, public folder mailboxes or arbitration mailboxes.
    To get a list of all mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID>.
    To get a list of all mailbox plans in this database, run the command Get-MailboxPlan.
    To get a list of archive mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -Archive.
     To get a list of all public folder mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -PublicFolder.
    To get a list of all arbitration mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -Arbitration.
     To disable a non-arbitration mailbox so that you can delete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID>.
    To disable an archive mailbox so you can delete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -Archive.
    To disable a public folder mailbox so that you can delete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -PublicFolder. Arbitration mailboxes should be moved to another server; to do this, run the command New-MoveRequest <parameters>.
    If this is the last server in the organization, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -Arbitration -DisableLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed to disable the arbitration mailbox. Mailbox plans should be moved to another server; to do this, run the command Set-MailboxPlan <MailboxPlan ID> -Database <Database ID>.

It was running the command 'Remove-MailboxDatabase 'CN=Mailbox Database 0752750037,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=support,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=company' -whatif'.
    For more information, visit: http://technet.microsoft.com/library(EXCHG.160)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.UnwillingToRemoveMailboxDatabase.aspx

But I have done everything that error seems to ask for in removing or disabling all mailboxes etc.

Any ideas?

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:38 PM

Answers

• OK I have fixed my own issue, but note that the error message provided by MS is incomplete and incorrect so here are the steps I have documented so far that has allowed the 2016 install to be deleted:

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration | disable-mailbox -Arbitration -DisableArbitrationMailboxWithOABsAllow –DisableLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed
    Get-Mailbox -AuditLog | Disable-Mailbox
    Get-Mailbox -Monitoring | Disable-Mailbox REBOOT

This let setup remove exchange. Well up to a point, but I am starting a new thread with a new error

• Edited by robatwork Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:22 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Friday, April 8, 2016 6:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by robatwork Friday, April 8, 2016 9:11 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:21 PM

All replies

• OK here goes:

I am removing Exchange 2016 from a server as I want to start again from scratch on another server. Exchange was partly configured but never used so no problems deleting everything. There is no other Exchange server in our organisation at all.  The uninstall fell over so I went through the list of actions to disable or delete all mailboxes including public and arbitration. So now I get:

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -PublicFolder
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-Mailbox -Arbitration
    [PS] C:\Windows\system32>

ie. no mailboxes at all. However the setup still fails with exactly the same error as before I removed and disabled the mailboxes, which is:

Error:
    Uninstall can't continue. Errors:
    This mailbox database contains one or more mailboxes, mailbox plans, archive mailboxes, public folder mailboxes or arbitration mailboxes.
    To get a list of all mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID>.
    To get a list of all mailbox plans in this database, run the command Get-MailboxPlan.
    To get a list of archive mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -Archive.
     To get a list of all public folder mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -PublicFolder.
    To get a list of all arbitration mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -Arbitration.
     To disable a non-arbitration mailbox so that you can delete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID>.
    To disable an archive mailbox so you can delete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -Archive.
    To disable a public folder mailbox so that you can delete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -PublicFolder. Arbitration mailboxes should be moved to another server; to do this, run the command New-MoveRequest <parameters>.
    If this is the last server in the organization, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -Arbitration -DisableLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed to disable the arbitration mailbox. Mailbox plans should be moved to another server; to do this, run the command Set-MailboxPlan <MailboxPlan ID> -Database <Database ID>.

It was running the command 'Remove-MailboxDatabase 'CN=Mailbox Database 0752750037,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=support,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=company' -whatif'.
    For more information, visit: http://technet.microsoft.com/library(EXCHG.160)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.UnwillingToRemoveMailboxDatabase.aspx

But I have done everything that error seems to ask for in removing or disabling all mailboxes etc.

Any ideas?

What happens if you try to delete the database outside of the installer?  Do you get the same error?  Also, what about Get-Miailbox -Archive

Does this return anything?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:55 PM
  • OK I have fixed my own issue, but note that the error message provided by MS is incomplete and incorrect so here are the steps I have documented so far that has allowed the 2016 install to be deleted:

Get-Mailbox -Arbitration | disable-mailbox -Arbitration -DisableArbitrationMailboxWithOABsAllow –DisableLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed
    Get-Mailbox -AuditLog | Disable-Mailbox
    Get-Mailbox -Monitoring | Disable-Mailbox REBOOT

This let setup remove exchange. Well up to a point, but I am starting a new thread with a new error

• Edited by robatwork Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:22 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Lynn-Li Friday, April 8, 2016 6:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by robatwork Friday, April 8, 2016 9:11 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:21 PM
  • Hi Rob,

thank you for providing this answer out here. That helped me to fix exactly this problem.

best regards

Hardy !

Thursday, February 8, 2018 1:20 AM
  • Glad that helped - those 2 small forum posts probably encompassed about 2 weeks of work, but I have had useful advice on forums so important to share these hidden Microsoft incantations...

And on the offchance that Sanjay from Microsoft in India is reading this - Hi Sanjay!  (The most dogged and helpful MS tech rep that helped solved a problem I simply got nowhere with)

Rob

Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:18 AM