Best way to redirect a legacy site collection to its newly migrated site collection RRS feed

• Question

• Looking for some suggestions, I am migrating from a SharePoint 2007 farm to a new SharePoint 2013 farm. The URL's to the new sites have a new base URL to reflect some departmental name changes that occurred over the years since the inception of my legacy farm. 
    I am trying to find out some good ideas to redirect people at subsite levels to their respective new sites on my new farm. I have some site collections with MANY subsites that I have to break off and create new individual sites in my new world.

Right now I use a web part for the redirect on the old site's home page, I just have the code below in the source of the webpart, and publish it on the homepage. It redirects after ten seconds.

<SCRIPT type='"text/javascript"'>// <![CDATA[alert("This site has been moved to another location, please update all existing bookmarks.  You will be redirected momentarily.");// ]]></SCRIPT><meta http-equiv="refresh" content="10;url=https://NEW_SITE_URL_HERE">

This works fine, but if a user happens to have a direct link to a page other than the homepage, then they will not be redirected. 

I could publish this on every page in the site collection but that could get really cumbersome. I am wondering if anyone has a better solution? 

Also, I do have the old set set as read only, so no one can edit any further, but moving forward I would still like to find a way to force all traffic to the specific sub site to a new place.

Thanks in advance.

Jacque Donald

Thursday, July 28, 2016 7:23 PM

Answers

• Create a custom master page and include that redirection script in that, and set the sub site with the new master page.

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh
    You don't need to buy me a beer, if helpful just smile, vote, and mark it as answer.

• Marked as answer by Jacque_Donald Tuesday, August 2, 2016 3:42 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 3:18 AM

All replies

• Create a custom master page and include that redirection script in that, and set the sub site with the new master page.

---
    Rajesh
    rjesh.com| @rjesh
    You don't need to buy me a beer, if helpful just smile, vote, and mark it as answer.

• Marked as answer by Jacque_Donald Tuesday, August 2, 2016 3:42 AM
    Friday, July 29, 2016 3:18 AM
  • This worked perfectly. I created a new master page and inserted the script in the head of that page. I forced the new master page to the site and all sub sites after I copied the content over. This worked perfectly, many thanks!!

Jacque Donald

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 3:44 AM