Microsoft Update during monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• I have been searching, and unable to locate an answer that explains it for me. What is the purpose of the checkbox to "Allow Microsoft Update during monitoring" on the advanced options of the wizard? I am looking at version 4.5.1 build 15580 of the sequencer. I would guess that this affects what is monitored?

Richard
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:26 PM

Answers

• It appears that the checkbox simply sets (in Windows XP) the Automatic Updates service to Automatic and starts it. I had previously disabled it. Leaving the checkbox clear makes no changes to the service. It would be my assumption that this is the only function of the checkbox.

Thanks for giving me the forum to think out loud!

Richard
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, May 25, 2009 9:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by RichardPerry Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hello,

This is copied directly from the sequencing whitepaper;

Allow Microsoft

Update

Allows Microsoft Update to be run as part of the sequencing process. Typically this is used to let Microsoft Update to update Microsoft Office during the package update process. However  it is important to remember that the sequencer cannot capture OS components

available at;
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/8/f784a197-73be-48ff-83da-4102c05a6d44/App-45_Sequencing_Guide_Final.docx

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:34 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by RichardPerry Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:35 PM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:34 PM
  • I have read that, but that is not answering the question in my mind. If I don't check the checkbox, I can still launch Microsoft Update and perform updates to the application. There must be a technical difference in checking the box or not. I would like to understand *what* happens if I choose to check or uncheck that box.

Richard
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:37 PM
  • Hello,

I have never tried it (as any updates I usually just apply as .msp files), however according to the documentation the update feature should be disabled.
    Now, what that means technically is a bit vague - because I can hardly believe that the sequencer contains some type of restriction of running MS update (as you suggested).

However, some exclusions, perhaps the WU-agent process is not beeing monitored if the check-box is not selected?

I would assume that it wouldn't benefit the sequencing process if the wu-agent were monitored as most updates apply to core windows components, and therefore not something wanted in the sequence.

office is of course the exclusion, and therefore an active choice to monitor the wu-agent would benefit the sequencing and allowing the manual installation of updates via the wu-agent?

/Znack
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:46 PM
  • It appears that the checkbox simply sets (in Windows XP) the Automatic Updates service to Automatic and starts it. I had previously disabled it. Leaving the checkbox clear makes no changes to the service. It would be my assumption that this is the only function of the checkbox.

Thanks for giving me the forum to think out loud!

Richard
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, May 25, 2009 9:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by RichardPerry Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 9:51 PM