none
After Recovery VM state is lost RRS feed

• Question

• While backing up virtual machine in DPM 2010, you get a backup of the following (.VHD drive, current state of memory (.BIN, .VSV files) and VM configuration (.XML) file. Recently I did a test recovery of Virtual Machine (selecting an option "recover to original instance"). Before recovery started the virtual machine was in Running working state. After recovery finished, I realized that recovered VM is in the 'OFF' state. So what is the point of backing up .bin and .vsv files if memory state is not restored?
    Monday, January 2, 2012 8:02 AM

All replies

• Anybody has experience in restoring a VM in up-and-running state with DPM 2010?
    Monday, January 2, 2012 3:58 PM
  • As I understand (but I don't know this for sure), it defaults to "OFF" state to give you the opportunity to check the settings of the VM before bringing it back online.

If you turn it on does it not boot-up to the saved state (like bringing a PC out of hibernation)?

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 9:33 AM
  • I did noticed that DPM 2010 does backup .bin and .vsv file for VM running on 2008 r2 Hyper-V. But that has changed in Windows Server 2008. The files are not listed for backup. I'm trying to do the test with Beta of windows server 8 and using DPM 2010 to backup the VM. Does anyone know if DPM 2010 would work with beta or not?

• Edited by RPrep Friday, March 2, 2012 5:05 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 5:04 PM