2012 client correct site assignment without AD RRS feed

• Question

• Our CM2007 and CM2012 infrastructure will be in the same AD domain. CM2007 data exists in AD. If we put CM2012 data in AD, CM2007 clients (I believe) can become confused if there are overlapping site boundaries. So therefore we were looking to set up all the boundaries for site assignment in CM2012 but not publish them in AD.

So when deploying the CM2012 client and specifying SMSSITECODE=AUTO, how does it find the correct site? Is it true that all I need to is specify SMSMP=server and from that it will consult all the site boundaries and place itself in the correct site?

Thanks

David Z

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 11:22 PM

Answers

• Think SMSMP=server.name should be sufficient for what you describe.
    • Marked as answer by David Zemdegs Friday, September 14, 2012 1:14 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you use the new boundary group type in ConfigMgr2012 and use the boundary group only for Content location and not Site assignment, then you can publish that information to AD without having any overlapping boundaries. Then the clients know where to get the content from. For Site assignement you should use SMSSITECODE=s01 your site name. How many sites do you have?

Clients can only be assigned to Primary sites and one Primary site supports 100'000 clients.

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:39 AM
  • Think SMSMP=server.name should be sufficient for what you describe.
    • Marked as answer by David Zemdegs Friday, September 14, 2012 1:14 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Exactly,

You can specify the boundaries groups using subnet and also SMSSITECODE=XXX parameter.

Danilo Gonçalves MCSA | Windows Server 2008 R2 MCSA | Virtualization Administrator

Thursday, September 13, 2012 3:41 PM
  • We have half a dozen primaries. That design cannot change.

We cannot publish to AD so as not to confuse any new CM2007 clients as there will be months of co-existence.

CM2012 clients must be installed using SMSSITECODE=AUTO and find their correct site.

So using SMSMP appears to be the only way to meet all our requirements.

Thanks

David Z

Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Yes,

Yes, in this case this is the best option.

Regards,
    Danilo.

Danilo Gonçalves MCSA | Windows Server 2008 R2 and Virtualization Administrator

Friday, September 14, 2012 12:29 AM
  • Is there any difference between the ccmsetup /mp:server and the client.msi SMSMP=server options? They appear to do the same thing.

Thanks

David Z

Sunday, November 11, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Yes, completely different.

/mp is a parameter/switch for ccmsetup that specifies where ccmsetup will download the rest of the setup files from using BITS. In 2012, this really shouldn't be used because ccmsetup will automatically find the nearest DP to do this. In 2007 (and previous), ccmsetup downloaded these files from the MP. This parameter has nothing to do with setting the client's site.

SMSMP is a public property for client.msi (passed via ccmsetup when ccmsetup calls client.msi) and sets the client's assigned site.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Monday, November 12, 2012 12:19 AM
  • Thank you Jason. I was using the SMSMP= so I was on the right track....
    Monday, November 12, 2012 2:39 AM