Virtual Machine Hangs RRS feed

• Question

• Two of my coworkers started having problem running a VM (Microsoft Virtual PC) that has been working in the past. They can open the VM, but it would eventually freeze. This happens after they switched to new laptops. We all run the VM on Win 7. However, one difference is I am running on a Dell laptop with processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3340M CPU while my coworkers' new laptops are HP, and the processor is AMD A10 PRO-7350B R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6G. Is this HP AMD processor compatible with running Virtual PC? How do we check? Thanks.

TDN

• Edited by TDN Thursday, September 22, 2016 3:44 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 2:32 PM

All replies

• Are the new laptops for your coworkers Acer laptops?

For now, I think Acer 4530 can't do AMD-V. We my friends, must take the matter to our own hands. Implementing this fix on a BIOS is impossible without the right tools, remember the processor is faulty, but a software workaround exists. After reading AMD's errata, I understood that some exceptions generated in the guest are being passed to the host, which might have caused the freeze. So the workaround might not necessarily be at the BIOS level, though that would be the best fix. If we can make sure these exceptions never reach the host's bios, no more freezes will happen.

Looking for ways to do this, you will notice the Linux host was using a suspicious module: acer_wmi. Try removing and blacklisting this module, and to your surprise the freezes will be gone.

Here's the complete workaround:

• Type modprobe -r acer_wmi
    • Edit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    • Add to the end of the list "blacklist acer_wmi" without the quotes
    • Start your virtual machines with AMD-V enabled.
    • Enjoy your AMD-V without the freezes!

Thanks again, lookingfor...

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:37 PM
  • No, the new laptops are HP.

TDN

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 4:01 PM
  • Hi,

I found an article may help you, please refer to the link:

Troubleshooting a virtual machine that has stopped responding:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1007819

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If the problem still persists, I’m afraid there is something wrong with the HP laptop, your best bet is connecting HP support for further help.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 9:34 AM
  • We are using Microsoft Virtual PC for virtual machines and not VMware...

TDN

Thursday, September 22, 2016 3:44 PM
  • Where was the VM made?  Are you coping the same VM to multiple computers?  What's the OS in the VM?

Is there a power saving scheme on the AMD systems that's kicking in?  Does it freeze after a specific period of time, or a specific action? 

Have you tried to do a repair of the VM's OS?

Anything in the event logs prior to the VM freezing?

The AMD CPU should work, but it's unlikely to ever be officially tested or supported since Windows VPC isn't under active development any longer. 

Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:31 PM
  • Does Microsoft have a replacement for Windows VPC that we can upgrade to?

TDN

Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:52 PM
  • Virtual PC was replaced by Hyper-V in Windows 8 and above.

You could try using VirtualBox instead of WVPC.  VirtualBox allows you to use VHDs from VPC and WVPC.

Friday, September 23, 2016 6:49 PM