Allowing non-admin to modify hosts file RRS feed

• Question

• We're beginning out Win 7 testing and have hit a snag. We have many users who need to modify their hosts file on a regular basis, but who do not have local admin rights to their PC. In XP, I just granted "Domain Users" the right to modify the etc folder, but I can't do that with Win 7. 

If I log in as a local, I am unable to change the etc folder permissions (everything is grey) and if I try through the UNC (from a domain admin account), I get a message that access is denied when I try to apply the change.

How can a non-admin change their hosts file in Win 7? Thanks.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:09 PM

Answers

• You are on the right track in trying to grant specific permissions to change the folder/file to the user.

The etc folder is owned by TrustedInstaller by default, and Users have Read & execute privileges. 

As with any act of changing permissions, you may have to take ownership of the object(s) to change permissions, since your domain admin account apparently isn't set up to have sufficient privileges to directly change permissions on the etc folder.

Since it sounds as though you may not have a solid grasp of ownership and permissions, before forging ahead I suggest you read up on NTFS permissions and file ownership and try to get your head around how folder/file security works.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:58 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, October 7, 2011 2:27 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:57 PM

All replies

• You are on the right track in trying to grant specific permissions to change the folder/file to the user.

The etc folder is owned by TrustedInstaller by default, and Users have Read & execute privileges. 

As with any act of changing permissions, you may have to take ownership of the object(s) to change permissions, since your domain admin account apparently isn't set up to have sufficient privileges to directly change permissions on the etc folder.

Since it sounds as though you may not have a solid grasp of ownership and permissions, before forging ahead I suggest you read up on NTFS permissions and file ownership and try to get your head around how folder/file security works.

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:58 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:18 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Friday, October 7, 2011 2:27 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:57 PM
  • Hi mhashemi,

Also refer to this: Take Ownership of a File or Folder

If you have more questions on this topic, please feel free to let us know.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:27 AM
  • How's it going?

Please feel free to give us any update.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, October 3, 2011 7:46 AM
  • As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as 'Answered' as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!

Regards,

Miya

Friday, October 7, 2011 2:27 AM