Desktop Toolbar Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Right click the Taskbar, choose Toolbars, then Desktop.  After the Desktop toolbar apprears, try and drag it to the desktop.  It won't let you (I move the mouse to the section where it turns into a double arrow).  I can do this in XP Pro with no problems.  Is this expected behavior?  Can you no longer drag it to the desktop?

I like to hide my desktop icons and use the Desktop toolbar instead.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 12:52 AM

All replies

• I am having a similar problem.  I usually run the Quick Launch toolbar and one for Office on my taskbar then one for Remote Control sessions, one for a reference folder, one for a utilities folder and one to a docs folder along the top.  Also I use two monitors with the display spanned and some of the toolbars I want on my second monitor.  So far I have been unable to find a way to undock the toolbars from the Task Bar.  Hopefully someone will have a solution for us.
    Thursday, November 23, 2006 12:46 AM
  • Hello I am having some ssues with not only the toolbar but the whole desktop:  there is none.  I am running RC1 entirely from explorer windows.  Any ideas or help suggestions.  Thanx

Thursday, November 30, 2006 2:05 AM
  • why can i not see the posts????
    Wednesday, December 13, 2006 3:43 PM
  • You aren't going to like the answer, but the behavior has changed from Windows XP.

Here is the answer from the Vista help:

Create a shortcut toolbar on the desktop

If you want easy access to your most frequently used programs and files but don't want to clutter your desktop with shortcuts, you can store shortcuts to those items in a toolbar on your desktop.

1. Right-click an empty area on the desktop, point to New, and then click Folder.

A folder will appear on the desktop. This is the folder you will use as the shortcut toolbar.

2. Type a name for the folder (for example, Shortcuts), and then press ENTER.

3. Drag the folder to the very left, right, or top edge of the screen, and then release it.

The folder will now look like a toolbar.

4. Drag the shortcuts to the toolbar that you want to appear there.

The shortcuts will appear on the toolbar.

5. Click any shortcut on the toolbar to open its associated program or file.

Tip

• When you create a shortcut toolbar, the folder you created it from remains on your desktop. If you do not want to see the folder on your desktop, you can hide it. The toolbar will remain on the desktop, but the folder will disappear.

One final note:  The toolbar does not look like the taskbar nor can you edit the opacity of it.

• Proposed as answer by ddaS-edEn Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:45 AM
    Friday, December 22, 2006 5:32 AM
  • Thank you very much.  While it isn't as friendly as in XP it is still workable.  Thank you very much for your help.  That makes my job much easier.
    Friday, December 22, 2006 7:38 PM
  • Hi,

After reading the steps listed above, I proceeded to instead of creating a new folder, drag the "Desktop" folder in "C:\Users\Druneau\".  This means that it's now a dynamic kind of toolbar, any shortcut created by installed applications will pop up automatically on it (just like in XP).

Note: Drag it to where you want the first time, cause i couldn't move it after without closing it and re-creating it
    Tuesday, February 6, 2007 3:18 AM
  • Hi,

I was trying to drag the newly created toolbar from the side of the screen to the center to make it float. It took me 15 minutes to figure this out. Move your mouse to the toolbar but at very edge of the screen. Click on the mouse button to grab it. You can only grab the toolbar at the fine line where (the edge) of your physical screen meets the toolbar. Drag it to anywhere on the desktop.

What a frustrating way to get the toolbar to float !
    Saturday, December 15, 2007 1:33 AM
  • I've never understood why any update (Media Player 10, etc) would remove options, make things more difficult, or less flexible than they were before.

I've been using an auto-hide Desktop toolbar with the normal desktop icons hidden for years, since IE4 came out I believe it was.  Now, for no good reason I can determine, it's now something I have to mess with to get working AND when I install programs and opt for a desktop icon for that program I've got to manually make a shortcut to the program in my "Desktop" folder I had to create elsewhere on my PC that then got turned into my auto-hid toolbar.

Big fan of MS Vista, except for this.

Friday, December 21, 2007 12:05 AM
  • Man, so I finally figured out this toolbar fiasco myself, and was moderately happy but....

In Win2000 and later XP, I would drag a toolbar to the left side of desktop, I can do that in Vista.  Cool.

I would drag more toolbars to the left side, and they would all dock together, and you could have your toolbars seperated into convenient groups, (ie., graphics, games, applications, etc).   You can't do that in Vista, or if you can, I can't figure it out.  You can have multiple toolbars on the left, but they won't dock into each other.  Way to go Microsoft, for removing useful functionality.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:26 PM
  • As a side note i must say that in september 2007, dragging from taskbar to make an toolbar to the side of screen worked. But now it anymore doesn't work, i think the security flaw was fixed Big Smile.

Also i am not able to drag and drob to dock applications like objectdock, however after installing Vista it was possible for a few months.

It's a pity.

Sunday, January 27, 2008 10:55 AM
  • Docking multiple Desktop Toolbars is possible in Vista.

After you have created the first Desktop Toolbar following steps given above by Todd ("Create a shortcut toolbar on the desktop" or here):

Right-click on the Toolbar's empty area, select Toolbars and select the one(s) you want to dock. To use any other folder as a Toolbar, click on New Toolbar and choose the folder you want to use.

Man, so I finally figured out this toolbar fiasco myself, and was moderately happy but....

In Win2000 and later XP, I would drag a toolbar to the left side of desktop, I can do that in Vista.  Cool.

I would drag more toolbars to the left side, and they would all dock together, and you could have your toolbars seperated into convenient groups, (ie., graphics, games, applications, etc).   You can't do that in Vista, or if you can, I can't figure it out.  You can have multiple toolbars on the left, but they won't dock into each other.  Way to go Microsoft, for removing useful functionality.

I think the world is run by 'C' students. - Al McGuire
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:11 AM