none
QUESTION: SteadyState, NOD32 automatic updates and reboots. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all.

In my house computer I have XP SP2 with SteadyState installed and NOD32 antivirus. I read a few FAQs and discovered that if SteadyState does not recognize your antivirus, you should write a custom script for it.
    My 1st question is, does anyone have a script for NOD32? If not, how can I write one?
    My 2nd question: How can I allow SteadyState to install updates but to not reboot the system until an administrator authorizes it (or do a manual reboot)?

Thanks in advance.

Léster
    Wednesday, September 19, 2007 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Lester,

My 1st question is, does anyone have a script for NOD32? If not, how can I write one?

--------------------

Please understand that SteadyState only have built-in Antivirus software update support for several versions of Antivirus software. For other Antivirus software, you need to prepare a signature update script for it as described in your antivirus software manual.

Some customers also shared their script experience in this forum, you can refer to Terence and Jan’s suggestions in the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1865432&SiteID=69

My 2nd question: How can I allow SteadyState to install updates but to not reboot the system until an administrator authorizes it (or do a manual reboot)?

--------------------

Based on the design of the “Scheduling Software Updates” feature of SteadyState, the system will reboot automatically when scheduled update time comes and when update is completed. We cannot postpone the reboot time from an administrator account.

Actually, when the scheduled time comes, system will log off the current user account (including administrators), restart the system to update. As WDP will be temporarily changed to “Retain all changes permanently” mode, to prevent unapproved disk changes from being introduced while updates are in progress, all your user accounts will be temporarily disabled. Thus, you cannot even log into the system while updates are in progress.

If you really need this feature, I recommend updating the system and security programs manually from an administrator user account. When you restart/shut down the system, “Windows Disk Protection Is On” warning will occur. It will provide the following options:

1. Continue and remove all changes

2. Save changes and then continue

3. Cancel and go back

We can select “Save changes and then continue” to commit the update changes. After restarting the system, WDP will be restored to “Remove all changes at restart” mode.

Best Regards,

Friday, September 21, 2007 8:26 AM