WSUS 2019 - Operation time out on 'All Updates' view RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Brand fresh new install of W2K19 OS + WSUS.  After syncing (our sync is around 32k updates) and hitting the 'All Updates' > Any Except Declined >  The infamous Reset Node screen and GUI halt message: The request was aborted: The operation has timed out

Here's the error log:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server via the remote API. 

Verify that the Update Services service, IIS and SQL are running on the server. If the problem persists, try restarting IIS, SQL, and the Update Services Service.

System.Net.WebException -- The request was aborted: The operation has timed out.

Source
    System.Web.Services

Stack Trace:
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.ApiRemotingCompressionProxy.GetWebResponse(WebRequest webRequest)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, Int32 publicationState)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPSearchUpdates(String updateScopeXml, String preferredCulture, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.Update.SearchUpdates(UpdateScope searchScope, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState, UpdateServer updateServer)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.UpdateManager.GetUpdates(ExtendedUpdateScope filter)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.BulkUpdatePropertiesCache.GetAndCacheUpdates(ExtendedUpdateScope updateScope, ComputerTargetScope computerTargetScope)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.UpdatesListPage.GetListRows()

And here's what I've tried:

4 cores + 24GB RAM

Amended IIS as follows:

Make the following "Advanced Settings" for WSUS Application Pool in IIS:    

- Queue Length: 25000 from 1000    

- Limit Interval (minutes): 15 from 5    

- "Service Unavailable" Response: TcpLevel from HttpLevel * (Stop IIS first)

Edit the web.config ( C:\Program Files\Update Services\WebServices\ClientWebService\web.config ) for WSUS:    

Replace <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="4096" /> with <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="204800" executionTimeout="7200"/>

<add key="maxInstalledPrerequisites" value="400"/> change to 800

Adjust the app pool private memory limit  to 4194304 (4GB)

Some also recommend changing pool memory to O i.e no memory limit

Changed from WID to SQL Standard

I'm out of ideas so suggestions more than welcome

Cheers

Lea

• Edited by LeaUK Thursday, November 28, 2019 1:08 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 1:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Lea,

Please consider the following steps for troubleshooting:

1. Restart the WSUS server.

2. After the server restarts, enter the WSUS console. Observe first in the server view if any updates are downloading.

If you are downloading content, first consider stopping the current download task. You can run the following command through elevated Powershell:

>  (Get-WsusServer).CancelAllDownloads()

3. Then check whether the options about download in the console are configured. It is recommended to enable the options shown below.

4. Finally, please refer to the steps mentioned in this article to reject the superseded update: "How to identify and decline superseded updates in WSUS".

* Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 29, 2019 1:39 AM
  • Hi and thanks for your reply and assistance.

(Get-WsusServer).CancelAllDownloads() handy tip thanks

Updates are not downloed to the server, the option chosen is 'Do not store update files locally...'

4. "How to identify and decline superseded updates in WSUS".

As explained,  it's this step that fails, WSUS cannot list the Approval status of ‘Any except Declined’ with a Status of ‘Any’ without the error explained above - this is exactly where WSUS time's out with 'The request was aborted: The operation has timed out'

Any advice welcomed.

Kind regards

Lea

• Edited by LeaUK Friday, November 29, 2019 10:09 AM
    Friday, November 29, 2019 10:08 AM
  • Hi Lea,

Thanks for your reply.
    Please try the following steps to adjust related configuration in IIS.

1. On your WSUS Server, launch the IIS Manager.
    2. Click 'Application Pools' is in the Connections list.
    3. Right click 'WsusPool' and select 'Advanced Settings…'
             'General' - 'Queue Length' : 25,000.
             'Rapid-Fail Protection' - 'Service Unavailable' Response: TcpLevel
             'Rapid-Fail Protection' - 'Failure Interval (minutes)' : 30
             'Rapid-Fail Protection' - 'Maximum Failures' : 60
             'Recucling' - 'Private Memory limit' : x4 times, or set to 0 (unlimited).
    4. Click 'ok' to save and restart the server.

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 2, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Hi Yic

Maybe you've missed that section in my post as I've already modified IIS.

The only resolution I've found to function so far is to limit the Product Classifications before initial sync, that has resulted in a reduction from 32,000 patches to around 25,000 which has resolved the issue (for now).

However clearly this is not the root cause, therefore please advise.

Kind regard

Lea

Monday, December 2, 2019 3:26 PM
  • Hi Lea,

I'm sorry I overlooked this.
    I noticed that you mentioned the current number of updates in WSUS, which seems to be a lot. When starting with products and classifications, consider the following:

1. Please consider whether you have chosen too many products? For example, you can see several items about Windows 10 in the product list, but in fact you may only need some of them.
    2. Please consider whether "Drivers" is selected in Classifications? This will add a lot of updates, but most likely this is not what you need.

Provide your current product and classification options, and I will be happy to help you analyze.

Regards,
    Yic

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:13 AM
  • Hi Yic

Thanks for your reply. 

1. How can I choose 'too many products', if WSUS cannot manage all the products listed then the WSUS product is at fault.  The issue with product selection is of maintenance and potentially missing updates from products in current use around the business, or new product groups being added to client machines by support teams.

2.  Drivers are NOT selected - good tip though thanks.

As I have mentioned, the only solution was to reduce the Product list (originally 'All' was selected to reduce the need for maintenance) reducing the updates from 32k to 25k.

Clearly WSUS cannot manage all update Product groups :-(

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 1:15 PM
  • As I have mentioned, the only solution was to reduce the Product list (originally 'All' was selected to reduce the need for maintenance) reducing the updates from 32k to 25k.

Clearly WSUS cannot manage all update Product groups :-(

Yes, I agree with you.
    The streamlined and highly targeted product selection will avoid database pressure caused by excessive data. So this requires your screening and clear intent.

Regards,
    Yic

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 2:41 AM
  • We've got pretty much the same configuration.  W2K19 OS + WSUS. We added drivers in WSUS and now have more than 50k updates. We're ok with views in console to approve/decline updates. But when I tried to run the script to decline superseded update it ran into: 

Getting a list of all updates... Failed to get updates.
    Error: The operation has timed out

Script was taken here. From this article: The complete guide to Microsoft WSUS and Configuration Manager SUP maintenance.

Also I've tried settings for IIS mentioned by Yic above. Didn't help. Same time out.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, March 25, 2020 7:56 AM