none
HYPER-V (2016/2019) Remove DDA device from VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hello HYPER-V experts,

I have the following problem in a HYPER-V environment.

On a HYPER-V Server 2016 I have several VMs, where a graphics card (NVIDIA Server Quadro) is assigned by DDA.

These are replicated by HYPER-V replicas. However, there is no NVIDIA on the target system. Therefore, I understandably cannot start the VM with the DDA-bound GPU (Event-ID 33900 - The PCI Express device with the Plug & Play device instance path "PCIP-VEN_10DE&DEV_1BB0&SUBSYS_11B210DE&REV_A1"4&2AF63274&0&001B" was not found.)

Hint: after event-id 33900 follows event-id 12010 and 12030.

Now I know the commands on how to remove a DDA device from a VM, but if the device is not physically there, I have no chance to remove the DDA from the VM.

How can I remove the DDA device from the VM so that the VM starts and runs without DDA?

Danke und liebe Grüße Oliver Richter

Tuesday, September 10, 2019 5:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

>>How can I remove the DDA device from the VM so that the VM starts and runs without DDA?

According to my research, only when the device is on the physical machine can we delete the DDA device from the VM. the GPU hardware is tied to the virtual machine and any high availability, both planned (live migration) or unplanned (failover) isn’t possible and available anyway. It just cannot be done.

For more information, please read this article:

https://blog.workinghardinit.work/category/discrete-device-assignment/

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 7:38 AM
  • Thanks @Daniel

unfortunately, it doesn't help much.

The following trick works perfectly:

Create a new VM (create with the previous settings) and include the VHDx of the replica there. 
    Et voilá the VM starts!

So it only has to be a "thing" in the *. VMRS or *.VMCX files of the VM.

If you could edit them cleanly and remove the entry for the DDA, the matter would be settled.

EDIT:
    Ben Armstrong has developed a beautiful VMCX editor. Couldn't you use it to convert the VMCX file to a DDA-lose? https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/virtual_pc_guy/2017/04/18/editing-a-vmcx-file/

I am a pure PS beginner and can not do this.

Can anyone help - any ideas?

Thanks for all.

Danke und liebe Grüße Oliver Richter

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 4:06 PM
  • OK,let's wait for the voices of others from this forum.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 7:49 AM