none
Query regarding Project Site Template RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I just wanted to know that, if we create a project site template and use it in the new Enterprise project type, then is it possible that i can prepopulate the 'Tasks' list ? or add a Workflow to it. I tried doing it, but its not reflecting in the project site.

I mean, i wanted to prepopulate the 'Schedule' page with predefined tasks - is it possible ?

My major requirement is below, which is why i thought of this Project site template, which I think is not solving my problem. Let me explain the requirement, and anybody any ideas, please let me know on this.

Requirement : Whenever the engineer changes the task (say start date, finish date or any custom field) in the task or project, then he must specify a reason for it based on the Scope change of the project (may be based on certain custom fields which gets changed during the course of the project). and also the fields in the task must be validated for certain min and max values (which is missing in the custom fields as of now).

So I thought like, I will add a workflow to the Task List in the Project Site Template to validate the task items, and have a history of the task items, so that I can track it based on that history of the task list, which will in turn help me control the 'Tasks' in the 'schedule' page. But I am not successful here. So any idea how to achieve this ?

Thanks,

shanky

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 9:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Shanky,

You can definitely do what you want to do, but not as you tried. You cannot use the project site task list, you have to create a project plan, save it as a template and associate it to your EPT. Then your business need seems quite heavy to me. A project plan is meant to change/live on a regular basis, thus setting a workflow to ask for a reason will be tedious. You could of course do a complex development (use an event Handler for each task change and popup a dialog box) but you have to ensure that it won't impact the user experience neither the performance. A simpler solution would be to add a custom field for entering the reason for the task update.

That being said, here are the steps for the project template:

1. Open Project Pro connected to Project Server,
    2. Create your project template as you need it (task, predecessors, durations, custom fields...),
    3. Click on "save as" and choose the "Template" type,
    4. Open PWA, server settings, Enterprise Project Types,
    5. Choose your EPT, scroll down to the "project plan template" section,
    6. Pick up your Template and save the EPT.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by shankyshan Thursday, March 5, 2015 7:36 AM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2015 9:24 AM
  • Hi Shanky,

If you do not want any complex coding solution, you could definitely use a list in the project site. It hasn't to be for the entire PWA.

Each time a project is created, a project site (SharePoint site) is also created based on a default Template which is also attached to the EPT (see EPT's option below).

This default Template contains some lists (risks, issues, deliverables...), calendar, discussions, document librairies... But you definitely can customize the default Template adding a custom list which could be named "change history" and contains columns such as the user name, the date of the update, the reason and others metadata. Then you can also activate the versionning on this list to keep track of any changes. Once you've updated the default site Template, you just have to associate it to the EPT and any new project will have a site associated with the custom list.

Here are some references:

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:53 PM
  • Hi Shanky,

This similar thread might help you:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/projectserver/en-US/58108b89-e97a-4122-9a7e-4cc7086a9c7e/project-server-2013-project-sites-custom-list

Hope this helps,

Thursday, March 5, 2015 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Shanky,

You can definitely do what you want to do, but not as you tried. You cannot use the project site task list, you have to create a project plan, save it as a template and associate it to your EPT. Then your business need seems quite heavy to me. A project plan is meant to change/live on a regular basis, thus setting a workflow to ask for a reason will be tedious. You could of course do a complex development (use an event Handler for each task change and popup a dialog box) but you have to ensure that it won't impact the user experience neither the performance. A simpler solution would be to add a custom field for entering the reason for the task update.

That being said, here are the steps for the project template:

1. Open Project Pro connected to Project Server,
    2. Create your project template as you need it (task, predecessors, durations, custom fields...),
    3. Click on "save as" and choose the "Template" type,
    4. Open PWA, server settings, Enterprise Project Types,
    5. Choose your EPT, scroll down to the "project plan template" section,
    6. Pick up your Template and save the EPT.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 9:24 AM
  • Hello Guillaume Rouyre,

Thank you very much for the detailed helpful reply. I used the Project pro as u mentioned and could succeed in what was needed. 

I need another suggestion for the project scope changes. You made me clear regarding the workflow and complex event handlers and its drawback to achieve this. And the 3rd option, if I add a custom field, then it can be filled only once. Although the engineer can edit it as and when the scope changes, I could not track these changes and have a history of it, isn't it?

As the project plan may not be 100% accurate and may change a few times in the course of time, and If i want to track these changes(and the reasons provided by the engineer on each change) as History then what could be a simple solution?

I tried adding a custom list, where the engineer himself will enter the details whenever the scope changes. But this custom list is for entire PWA and not for each project. So how can I achieve to have a page or webpart for each project where the engineer can add items in  a way he can add items to a list. Is it possible ? 

If you have any other better and simple idea, please guide me.

Thanks,

Shanky

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:23 PM
  • Hi Shanky,

If you do not want any complex coding solution, you could definitely use a list in the project site. It hasn't to be for the entire PWA.

Each time a project is created, a project site (SharePoint site) is also created based on a default Template which is also attached to the EPT (see EPT's option below).

This default Template contains some lists (risks, issues, deliverables...), calendar, discussions, document librairies... But you definitely can customize the default Template adding a custom list which could be named "change history" and contains columns such as the user name, the date of the update, the reason and others metadata. Then you can also activate the versionning on this list to keep track of any changes. Once you've updated the default site Template, you just have to associate it to the EPT and any new project will have a site associated with the custom list.

Here are some references:

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 3:53 PM
  • Hello Guillaume Rouyre,

Thank you for the solution. This works perfectly fine for me. But pardon me for one last question regarding this. Is it possible to pull the information from this newly added 'Change History' list into my report (Excel or SSRS or Performance Point) ?

I am wondering how I use this list as data source for my reports. When I add my PWA site as SharePoint site to the Data Source in SSRS DataSet, It is just showing the issues,risks and deliverables, but not this new custom list. Should I do something else to enable it ? Please guide me on this.

Thanks,

shanky 

• Edited by shankyshan Thursday, March 5, 2015 6:45 AM update
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 6:38 AM
  • Hi Shanky,

This similar thread might help you:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/projectserver/en-US/58108b89-e97a-4122-9a7e-4cc7086a9c7e/project-server-2013-project-sites-custom-list

Hope this helps,

Thursday, March 5, 2015 7:02 AM
  • Hello Guillaume Rouyre,
    Thanks a tonne for all these timely help. 
    It means a lot to me. I could solve major hurdles with these timely help.
    Using above mentioned techniques I could solve what was intended :-)

Thank you,
    Shanky
    Thursday, March 5, 2015 7:36 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback Shanky and you're very welcome!

Hope this helps,

Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:01 AM