none
Project server -Project Professional 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In my work place, I have a scenario like this...

we installed Project Server 2010 and Professional 2010 ( Client edition). We are accessing Project Server with Project Professional ( installed in our client systems) Once we are done with changes, we are saving that in the Project Server. Now the problems are

1. We would like to provide web access for other users just to view data and edit data but we are not expecting them to install Project Professional. Is it is possible.

2. When we seeing data in the Project Server, we will able to see only a fixed views ...I mean...it is not possible to see all the available columns. How can we fix this issue.

Please help me.

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 8:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

regarding question 1: it is possible. Just add these users to group Team Members. With default settings, they should be able to do what you are asking for.

qusetion 2: You can only see fixed views. But you can modify existing ones or just copy and rename them and modify the copies. This can be done in Server Settings - Manage Views.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

regarding question 1: it is possible. Just add these users to group Team Members. With default settings, they should be able to do what you are asking for.

qusetion 2: You can only see fixed views. But you can modify existing ones or just copy and rename them and modify the copies. This can be done in Server Settings - Manage Views.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:08 AM
  • Hi Barbara, 

It worked perfectly !

Now the problem is .....when I am trying to access the site...it is always accepting only Administrator account...it didn't accept any other account even though I have created users (according to your suggestion).

We have four users in our work place. Four users should their own accounts to access that site. I created user but they weren't accepting any other users except Administrator.

Could you please help me.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 2:36 PM
  • Hi,

where did you create your users? Hopefully within Project Web App? There are three ways:

• Project Web App - Resource Center - New Resource
      As a minimum:
      Activate "Resource can logon to Project Server" and add AD account in "User logon account:" (of course enter name, etc)
      Move "Team Members" in the section Security Groups to the right column and save
    • Project Web App - Server Settings - Manage Users - New User
      As a minimum:
      Add AD account in "User logon account:" (of course enter name, etc)
      Move "Team Members" in the section Security Groups to the right column and save
    • Use AD sync. I skip that for now.

Have you used one of the above ways?
    Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Hi,

Actually, I did in the 'first' way ( in your points) but we are not using AD here. It is an experimental project in our project, so we don't want our AD to this one.

Please let me know is it is possible with out AD, can we do something with existing options in the site.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Hi,

you don't need to use AD sync, that's the reason why I skipped it. I only wanted to make sure that users had been created in Project Server (sometimes people are creating them in SharPoint, which will not help in Project Server) and that you have used Windows accounts. So "Resource can logon to Project Server" is activated and you have applied at least group of team members?

What happens, if users try to open Project Web App? Do they receive an error message? Are they asked to login? Have they tried on the same computer wheer it did work for Administrator!

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

I activated "Resource can logon to Project Server" and applied "Administrators" group.

When an user other than Administrator is trying to access PWA, it is asking for logon and it is accepting only Administrator account.

For the time being, I am doing all these things in one computer. And of course, I tried from another computer as well but I got that same.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:39 AM
  • Hi,

interesting. You have entered windows accout in format DOMAIN\USERNAME and you are using the same notation for login? Could you please check if this account is set to Inactive in Ressource Center? Are you sure that you used the correct password (sorry for that question)?

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Hi,

It's OK, I can understand your point. You are welcome to pose questions !! :)

Actually, I have created users for PWA but I didn't create any users for Windows ( I mean OS ).  Do I have to create accounts in windows as well.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:55 AM
  • Hi,

you have to use existing Domain Accounts from AD (or are you running forms-based authentication?) Did you use AD accounts?

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:06 AM
  • Hi,

I am not using AD accounts. And I would like to have Forms - based authentication.

When I added an user to the PWA site, I didn't find any option to enter my password. I wonder how can a user will be authenticated with out using password.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:25 AM
  • Hi,

that's exactly the issue: your users have to be set up BEFORE either in Active Directory or for forms authentication. During login, Project Server "asks" another system for credentials and this has to be configured. For more information, have a look at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee922606.aspx

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:40 AM
  • Hi,

I just would like to know the difference between normal Windows Logon authentication and Forms-based authentication.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Hi,

I hope this answers your question: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262350.aspx#section2?

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:05 PM
  • Hi,

I am so confused now ;)

I couldn't understand the difference between forms based authentication and normal windows logon authentication.

Thanks.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:20 PM
  • I don't know how to explain better than these articles? Windows authentication is based on active directory. Forms authenticate uses the membership information stored on one of the datasource like SQL Server or other as described in provided technet links. So if you have an Active Directory, go for that. If you don't have any, you will need to prepare your environment for forms authentication.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:58 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

I referred to some other website...I got clear picture now.

Thanks for your effort.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:30 PM
  • Ok, that's great. Good luck!

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, February 24, 2011 1:43 PM
  • Hi,

I did setup for Forms based authentication. When I am trying to access the site....

I am getting a window with the message...

Error:Access Denied

You are currently signed in as: patrik

Sign in as a different user

I tried with administrator account as well. I got the same message...

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Friday, March 4, 2011 9:50 AM
  • Hi,

have you selected “Forms Authentication” option from the drop-down list “Sign in as Different User”? Have you set up both users as forms users?

When creatin Project Web App in Central Administration, have you selected the SharePoint Web Application which is configured for Forms Based authentication?

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, March 4, 2011 11:05 AM
  • 1. When I was creating, I selected 'Claims based authenticaiton' option

2. I selected 'forms authenticatin' in the drop-down list

3. You raised a question...Have you set up both users as forms users?.....I think you are talking about permissions to access the site...right ?

I don't know where to do it...

Thanks.

Friday, March 4, 2011 12:13 PM
  • Hi,

I have no forms authetzication environment available, so I can only provide what I have read so far: http://www.projectserver2010blog.com/2010/07/enabling-forms-based-authentication-for.html

When you add a new user at Server Settings - Manage Users - New User, make sure that this new user is at least member of one group.

Regards
    Barbara

Friday, March 4, 2011 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

In the link that you provided above, in the step 2...login with windows authentication ..I couldn't find that one. PWA is not asking for any authentications ( not even windows authentication)...

Please help me.

Thanks.

Monday, March 7, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Hi Suresh,

On the basis of the previous discussion, i would like to ask you one thing. Is your system in a Domain or you are working on a standalone system?

Thanks & Regards,

Saurabh Chauhan

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 1:06 PM