Cannot Delete EXE files, tried Unlocker but didn't work. RRS feed

• Question

• I had problems in deleting just two EXE files, but I cannot delete it. When I tyr to delete it normally, it says: "This file is in use by another file or user. Close the file and try again". So I tried using Command Prompt, did not work at all. It says "Access Denied" when I use the "Del" command. I heard Unlocker was a good software for deleting locked files, so downloaded it. For some strange reasons, the Unlocker told me that If I right click on files and the menu pops up, there will be a "unlocker" choice, but there isn't!

Any help would be appreciated.

Monday, April 29, 2013 8:47 AM

Answers

• I assume these are standalone .exe files!

First of all try deleting in Safe Mode, i.e. tap F8 as you switch on and then select Safe Mode from the menu.

If that fails, run LockHunter, 32-bit or 64-bit here http://lockhunter.com/index.htm

Monday, April 29, 2013 1:04 PM
  • Hi,

You can go to Safe Mode and then take Ownership of a File or Folder to check the result.  After that, you should able to delete it.

If any error message received, please capture a screenshot and post it here.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:05 AM

All replies

• I assume these are standalone .exe files!

First of all try deleting in Safe Mode, i.e. tap F8 as you switch on and then select Safe Mode from the menu.

If that fails, run LockHunter, 32-bit or 64-bit here http://lockhunter.com/index.htm

Monday, April 29, 2013 1:04 PM
  • Hi,

You can go to Safe Mode and then take Ownership of a File or Folder to check the result.  After that, you should able to delete it.

If any error message received, please capture a screenshot and post it here.

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:05 AM
  • non delete-able .exe files can simply be renamed .txt, then in task panel end process. file now delete-able.
    Monday, April 7, 2014 1:31 AM