10074(DE): Various settings not working

Question

• I downloaded the ISO-file with the German 10074 build (10074.0.150424-1350.FBL_IMPRESSIVE_CLIENTENTERPRISE_VOL_X64FRE_DE-DE.ISO) and made a fresh install on a Dell Latitude E7240.

Install went through without errors. Set it up with a local account only. So far I encountered the following problems:

When I rightclick on the desktop (e.g. and try to set standard destkop icons) I get the error-msg:

"ms-setting://personalization/" Deliberate translation of the associated text: "No programm is allocated to this file. Install a program or create a link in the control panel if a program is already installed"

(German original text: "Der Datei ist kein Programm zum Ausführen dieser Aktion zugeordnet. Installieren Sie ein entsprechendes Programm, oder erstellen Sie in der SSystemsteuerung unter "Standardprogramme" eine Zuordnung, wenn bereits ein Programm installiert ist.")

2. The modern settings app is also broken. If I click the German "settings" equivalent "Einstellungen (Moderne Anwendung)", nothing happens. If I try to get directly to sub-apps (e.g. defender settings), I get either error messages ("RuntimeBroker.exe: invalid value for registry") or a window will open where I cannot change anything (OK/Cancel buttons missing), depending sub-app.

When I upgraded a 10061 build (installed in hyper-v VM) to 10074 on a different machine, all settings work though.

Any ideas?

• Edited by Besterino Thursday, April 30, 2015 7:25 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 7:24 PM

Answers

• If I remember correctly it may help to start wuapp.exe in the elevated command shell: press the windows-key, type "cmd" (or in German: "Eingabeaufforderung"), right click on it and select "run as administrator" ("Als Administrator ausführen").

Hopefully the app will inherit the user settings from the elevated command shell, i.e. be run as administrator without further "parental control" check.

Good luck!

Sunday, May 3, 2015 6:42 AM
  • The problem is that with some of the people posting their start/search doesn't work. I was one such person. To get an elevated command prompt in that case, you can hit Win+X and launch the command line (admin) from there. 

I'd also like to echo the sentiment in this thread. I've installed Win10 Build 10074 (EN) on a Toshiba P755-2150 laptop twice now. The first time I couldn't get to a majority of the settings apps, but everything else worked fine. I did a re-install and now I can (sort of) get to the settings apps, but my Win key doesn't work (i.e. search and start menus are not working at all). 

I've run the sfc and dism commands. SFC is saying everything is fine. Just wish I could get some consistency. 

Sunday, May 3, 2015 1:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We haven't receive this kind of feedback and I have no clean computer to have a try.

I suspect your ISO file or installation process have occurred some issue.

Please try to reset your installation through recovery menu to see if It could be fixed.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 1, 2015 2:33 AM
  • Well, weird. Apparently, something went quite wrong during setup / installation.

I ran the following commands in an elevated powershell "sfc /scannow" and "dism /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth". Additionally I started Windows Update from the command line with "wuapp.exe" (since clicking something didn't work at all). 

This fixed both Problems mentioned above, i.e. got me my settings back both rightclick on desktop as well as in modern ui.

"sfc /scannow" still reports certain errors that could not be fixed. I'll try to get rid of that with dism, but as long as I seem to be not affected, it's not top priority for my general testing purposes...

Friday, May 1, 2015 6:18 PM
  • Hi!

I have the exact same issue with the (US) English installation media. However, I chose Swedish regional settings at the beginning of the installation. The installation seemed to go just fine. Trying your fixes now too see if they work.

Saturday, May 2, 2015 7:14 PM
  • I have the same problem. I cannot open search, the start menu, or the settings app. I can open control panel through run "control"

When I tried starting Windows Update from the command line with "wuapp.exe" I got error an error message with the title "explorer.exe". "The operation was blocked by parental controls"

So, how do I disable parental controls when I cannot access the user settings or anything else in the settings app? I am on an administrator user account. Windows 10 build 10074 US English.

Sunday, May 3, 2015 3:14 AM
  • If I remember correctly it may help to start wuapp.exe in the elevated command shell: press the windows-key, type "cmd" (or in German: "Eingabeaufforderung"), right click on it and select "run as administrator" ("Als Administrator ausführen").

Hopefully the app will inherit the user settings from the elevated command shell, i.e. be run as administrator without further "parental control" check.

Good luck!

Sunday, May 3, 2015 6:42 AM
  • The problem is that with some of the people posting their start/search doesn't work. I was one such person. To get an elevated command prompt in that case, you can hit Win+X and launch the command line (admin) from there. 

I'd also like to echo the sentiment in this thread. I've installed Win10 Build 10074 (EN) on a Toshiba P755-2150 laptop twice now. The first time I couldn't get to a majority of the settings apps, but everything else worked fine. I did a re-install and now I can (sort of) get to the settings apps, but my Win key doesn't work (i.e. search and start menus are not working at all). 

I've run the sfc and dism commands. SFC is saying everything is fine. Just wish I could get some consistency. 

Sunday, May 3, 2015 1:04 PM
  • I have the same thing going. English version, anyone has a solid answer?

Arnold Andino

Friday, May 8, 2015 5:01 PM
  • I just installed the Windows 10 Insider Preview 10074 (x64) because my Windows 10 technical preview had expired and had the same exact issue. Gladly, I got it fixed.

My Start menu wasn't working, and I couldn't get into most settings, getting the same "ms-setting" error as you. I thought maybe the ISO image was corrupt, and I tried mounting it again but I didn't have the rights. I then realized all this must be do to my permissions. I had the Guest account turned on before installing the Insider Preview, and it remembered it, except that it wouldn't let me sign is as my regular account. I then realized it must be a permissions issue.

Turned out I was right. It was the Guest account. To turn it off, I had to work my way around the inability to open settings normally, and open the file explorer window instead. There I typed "Control Panel" to get to it, and then went to the User Accounts and turned off the Guest account. Now I had to force reboot my PC cause it locked me out.

Once I rebooted, I was back at the regular login screen with my user accounts and when I signed it, I saw all my icons, start menu worked and everything as should.

Hope this helps someone else and saves some frustration! Microsoft should really issue a warning to those using the Guest account. This must be a bug, because the Start menu and all should still work in Guest mode.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 2:58 AM
  • i use English ver. and have same problem
    Friday, May 15, 2015 12:13 PM
  • I have same problem with English ver. 

when try use wuapp.exe  error message say (( Packing was not Found ))

Friday, May 15, 2015 12:14 PM
  • I was running in to the same issue with mine and had to do 2 things to get it work. 

1. Set a password for the account you are logging in to on the machine.

2. Add the account to the administrator group

That resolved the issue(s) on my test machine.

• Edited by Tim.Harris Tuesday, May 19, 2015 3:45 PM update
    Monday, May 18, 2015 4:39 PM
  • I installed Windows 10 TP (10074) on Asus Z97 Pro (wifi-ac) and also was having issues with settings apps not working. After the first boot, the system hang infinitely in "Getting things ready" window. So, I did a hardware reset. After booting I was able to log in using Micsrosoft account, but immediately received a weird "explorer.exe" error popup with very unclear (or maybe even missing message). Sorry, don't remember details, it was a week ago, just wanted to put my experience online.

I immediately reinstalled, since I thought that resetting PC caused incomplete setup, but the issue persisted even after that. I tried to "refresh PC", but then also the start menu stopped working.

Based on suggestion in this thread I tried:

• Verified that my account is in Administrators group
    • Verified the integrity of the ISO used to create installation media
    • Ran "sfc /scannow" - found and fixed some issues, not sure what, didn't notice any improvements
    • Running "dism /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" generated some kind of an error message. Don't remember, but the "/ScanHealth" command result indicated that image is repairable.

Since I was reinstalling system due to issues in my previous Windows installation and needed actually working system, I dropped the idea of using Windows 10 and installed a fresh Windows 8.1. I think it's pretty terrible to have such issues with what appears basic things. Definitely not encouraged to transition to Windows 10, especially hearing that it will go live semi-finished.

Sunday, June 7, 2015 6:27 PM