none
Cannot access apps since got new phone due to 2 factor - Deactivate old account RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I got a new iPhone last January and the guy in the apple store did a backup on icloud before changing them over - everything was restored onto my new iPhone except there was no data in authenticator - I haven't been able to log in to the Authenticator app since. 

When I click on the app it gives 2 options of 'add new account' or 'sign in to your recovery account'. I don't want to add a new account I want to sign in to my old account to take off all my 2 factor authentications (I dont want it anymore I have 2 apps that I currently cannot access as I cannot get any authenticator codes) but when I click on 'begin recovery' it says 'there is no backup stored in your icloud account'. As mentioned the only other option is to add a new account but I dont want a new account I want to deactivate the old one as there are 2 apps that I cannot log in to as they ask for the authenticator code which I cannot get as there is nothing listed in the authenticator app.

When I looked in the help section on Microsoft it said to ensure the icloud backup was turned on so I went into authenticator app in settings and turned it on and it then prompted me for my email so now it is showing my email as a 2 factor application, but it is only listing my email account no other application that I have it turned on for. I don't want anything to have 2 factor on it anymore I just want the old account deactivated but given I cant see it or log in to it I have no idea what to dooooooo, anyone able to help?
    Sunday, May 26, 2019 9:45 AM

All replies

• You're screwed... use authy instead:

https://authy.com/

You can backup your codes and sync them between devices.  They also have a team that seems to care and support their product... unlike this one which is clearly relegated to outsourced developers in a foreign country somewhere.  I am not even sure they have shown up to work in the past two years, but of course are still getting paid at shareholder expense.

• Proposed as answer by Mike-E_wins Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:49 AM
    Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:48 AM