none
Unable to install .NetFramework 3.5

Question

• HI everybody,

on a virtual machine, based on a Win2012r2Std VMware template, that our recepient prepared,  I can't install .NetFramework 3.5 feature.

The CD-ROM drive is mapped on letter (E:).

I mounted the Win2012r2 ISO on it and then I ran the command :

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:E:\sources\sxs

After many minutes, the install fails with Error Code : 0x800f081f source not found

DISM.log logs the errors below :

Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=892 TID=3916 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x800f081f)
    Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=892 TID=3916 The source files could not be found; their location must be specified using the /source option to restore the feature. - GetCbsErrorMsg
    Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=892 TID=3916 Failed processing package changes with session options - CDISMPackageManager::ProcessChangesWithOptions(hr:0x800f081f)
    Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=892 TID=3916 Failed ProcessChanges. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::Private_ProcessFeatureChange(hr:0x800f081f)
    Error                 DISM   DISM Package Manager: PID=892 TID=3916 Failed while processing command enable-feature. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x800f081f)

CBS.log logs many errors and infos messages like these ones :

Info                  CBS    Failed to open payload file:\\?\C:\Windows\CbsTemp\30677026_347089542\x86_netfx-shfusion__chm_b03f5f7f11d50a3a_6.3.9600.16384_none_4d618d22fe026327\shfusion.chm [HRESULT = 0x80070005 - E_ACCESSDENIED]
    Info                  CBS    Failed to decompress the payload: shfusion.chm [HRESULT = 0x80070005 - E_ACCESSDENIED]

Info                  CBS    Exec: Missing files are found during staging attempt, session not qualified for WU download..
    Info                  CBS    Exec: Missing files for current offline execution. [HRESULT = 0x800f081f - CBS_E_SOURCE_MISSING]

Info                  CBS    Failed to stage execution chain. [HRESULT = 0x800f081f - CBS_E_SOURCE_MISSING]
    Error                 CBS    Failed to process single phase execution. [HRESULT = 0x800f081f - CBS_E_SOURCE_MISSING]

I can suppose that the VWARE template has been prepared without any drives other than the SYSTEM drive (C:) so that the CD-ROM drive should have been mapped on letter (D:). But now my server works in production and other drives have been added and the CD-ROM mapps now on letter (E:).

Do you have any process to define the initial path of source files for Windows installation ?

Thanks for your help

Kind regards

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 12:37 PM

All replies

• I have seen this happen when different media is used for the DISM command than was used for the installation of the OS.  Why not have the person who created the template add .Net instead of you trying to find the matching source DVD?

tim

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:45 PM
  • Thank U Tim,

unfortunately we are a big company and the recepient made this templates there is many months ago. And I don't know is name.

Since a new template has been prepared with the apropriate features but now my server is in production and I can't  rebuild it from scratch.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:34 PM
  • Does it have internet access? Also try;

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All

or add feature via GUI

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:37 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response but the result is the same.
    Thursday, July 12, 2018 1:04 PM
  • Try copying the \source\sxs directory to the machine to be updated.  Then point to it there.  Sometimes that worked for me when some of the other methods failed.

tim

Thursday, July 12, 2018 1:06 PM
  • Then I'd work through this one.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askpfeplat/2014/09/29/attempting-to-install-net-framework-3-5-on-windows-server-2012-r2-fails-with-error-code-0x800f0906-or-the-source-files-could-not-be-downloaded-even-when-supplying-source/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 12, 2018 1:23 PM
  • My script MaJ-WinUpdate.ps1 :

[cmdletbinding()]
    param(
        [Parameter()]
        [string]$KB
        )

if ($kb -eq $null) {
        $Session = New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.Session
        $Searcher = $Session.CreateUpdateSearcher()
        $HistoryCount = $Searcher.GetTotalHistoryCount() 
        $Searcher.QueryHistory(1,$HistoryCount) | Select-Object Date, Title, Description
        }
    elseif (($kb -ne $null)) {
        $Session = New-Object -ComObject Microsoft.Update.Session
        $Searcher = $Session.CreateUpdateSearcher()
        $HistoryCount = $Searcher.GetTotalHistoryCount() 
        $Searcher.QueryHistory(1,$HistoryCount) | Select-Object Date, Title, Description | foreach {
            $date=$_.date
            $Titre=$_.title
            $Desc=$_.desc
            $regex="\d*"+$kb
            If ($titre -match $regex) {
                Write-Host $date " " $titre " " $desc " " $kb }}}

PS C:\TEMP> .\MaJ-WinUpdate.ps1 KB2966827   ===> returns no result

PS C:\TEMP> .\MaJ-WinUpdate.ps1 KB2966828   ===> returns no result

So the server is on a distant ESX, I will copy the \Sources\SXS folder this week-end (4Go) to avoid network issue.

I will retry manual installation of .Net3.5 with sources on local drive next week.

Friday, July 13, 2018 12:24 PM