DPM cannot erase an expired tape... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi;

I cannot delete an expired tape in DPM 2012. The following error message appears when I want to do so:

The selected tapes cannot be erased because they belong to protection groups. You need to stop protection of the associated protection groups before can erase the tapes...

As my understanding, if a tape has been expired, I can erase it without any problems. Right?

I know I can first force free the tape and then erase it, but why in this scenario I cannot erase the expired tape?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:48 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There are two sql tables - one for expiry of individual datasets on the tape, and one for state of the media (free, expired, etc) - there seems to be an inconsistency between the two.  Using the forcefree-tape.ps1 should expire the dangling RP and allow you to erase it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by R.Alikhani Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:04 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:03 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I tried to duplicate the condition and was able to erase an expired tape without issues, so not sure why you are seeing that error. In any case DPM should be able to re-use the expired tape for future backups without having to erase it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:00 PM
  • Hi;

Thanks for your reply!

When I opened DPM console yesterday, I saw 4 tapes as expired. I managed to erase three of them, but could not managed to erase only one of them. Any indication of bug?

Thanks

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:18 AM
  • Hi,

There are two sql tables - one for expiry of individual datasets on the tape, and one for state of the media (free, expired, etc) - there seems to be an inconsistency between the two.  Using the forcefree-tape.ps1 should expire the dangling RP and allow you to erase it.

• Marked as answer by R.Alikhani Wednesday, December 26, 2012 12:04 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:03 PM