Tilde « ~ » with some vowels need to be up‑dated to last unicode Latin script letters RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, sorry for my English I'm an Albanian from « F.Y.R.O.M » (Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia) and living in Belgium and French speaker...

I noticed a bug in Windows 7 that last since XP...

When we use key « ~ » be‑fore key « A / a » we get di‑rectly « Ã / ã », when we use « ~ » be‑fore « O / o » we get « Õ / õ », and that is truly good...

But in my Gheg dia‑lect we have more nasalization for « E / e », « I / i », « U / u » & « Y / y »...

So I'm asking you this, please can you make an « Windows Up‑date » (KB??????) for Windows 7, 8 (and hope that you add this feature in Windows 10 im‑mediately) to be able to have auto‑matically :

• « Ẽ / ẽ » when using « ~ » be‑fore « E / e »
    • « Ĩ / ĩ » when using « ~ » be‑fore « I / i »
    • « Ũ / ũ » when using « ~ » be‑fore « U / u »
    • « Ỹ / ỹ » when using « ~ » be‑fore « Y / y »

I don't want to use every‑time « Character Map » to find these letter it is a real waste of time...

P.S : Since Windows XP the « Character Map » was not up‑graded to the new languages sup‑ported in the Unicode 7.0 standard, I think you should really think to up‑date this use‑full pro‑gram...

• Edited by Nemzag Monday, June 8, 2015 2:06 PM
    Saturday, June 6, 2015 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Nemzag,

If you can type it out it must exists in somewhere from symbol. I found your Ẽ / ẽ, Ĩ / ĩ, Ũ / ũ, Ỹ / ỹ, in insert->symbol (time for roman), since it is only 8 letters, as a work around you could set shot cuts for these symbols which are used a lot.

Rather than expecting windows update, I suggest you checking if there is any Input Method for your language can be downloaded because it would be best solution.

In the other hand, even I cannot be sure that Microsoft will release any patch or improve this in new system, but I will record this thread to TechNet Database so Internal staff from Microsoft could see it.

And thanks for your time and efforts on this issue.

Regards,

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 8:33 AM
  • Hi, well thank for the advice, but I use a old Microsoft Natural Keyboard and I can't use the last version of Intelli software to edit keys for use in windows or in web navigator or notepad...

But still I think that it would be more useful if the programmators of Windows add directly this ~ function to vowel E, I, Y, U ; since à & Õ already vorks...

Editing keys individually is a spending of time and if all of us (French, Albanian and languages using nasal) should do that, it mean that thousand of hour would be spended for all of us...

And after a virus or a OS format, we need to do the edit of keys again...

So no, please Microsoft add this function directly in Windows with an Windows Update... I insist...

Thank, good day.

• Edited by Nemzag Tuesday, September 1, 2015 11:45 AM
    Tuesday, September 1, 2015 11:36 AM