none
Is there a way to Move my root web to be defined as a subsite inside the same site collection, and provision a new root web

Question

• I have a site collection of type team site inside my On-Premise sharepoint enterprise server 2013. Now inside the team site root web i have added 2 lists (Discussion board + Issue list). Now i want to move my root web and its lists to be inside a sub-site inside the current site collection. and to create a blank root web...

so can anyone advice which approach i can use? Now i try saving the root web as template. then i create a new sub-site based on the site template.. but the problem is that the list items inside the new sub-site got new values for the system generated fields such as Created,Modified,Createdby & ModifiedBy... while i need to preserve the original values for the lists...

Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:37 PM

All replies

• Hi johnhohn123

From your description you managed somehow to get the contents to the rootweb. All the source list data from the site collection are still intact.

You can write a PowerShell script to loop through all list items and update the system generated fields. The other option is to delete all items from target lists in the new web and use content and structure to move items from root site collection to the root web.

Else try a migration tool, e.g. Metalogix 

Metalogix Copying a Site, List or Item

Regards

Reshmee

Friday, April 28, 2017 3:57 PM
  • Hi johnjohn123,

To preserve the original values for the lists, you can use content and structure to move the items in the list to the new list in the sub site.

Since you just have 2 lists (Discussion board + Issue list),  As reshmee011 suggested, you can use content and structure to move the items in the list to the new list in the sub site.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Saturday, April 29, 2017 9:50 AM