Virus that replaces letters with symbols. RRS feed

• Question

•  I down loaded a utube clip to a flash drive then opened it up on a desktop. Restarted, then all the letters were symbols. Restore points erased. Won't download spyware. Just reboots with a error message. Dosen't show up in the virus programs. Using XP installed on Computer. No copy. Computer not connected with the internet. Can anyone direct me to the right repair or department. New at this. Thought Microsoft should be knowledge of how to correct this.  Many Thanks, John J
    Thursday, January 1, 2015 6:56 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

Sorry to say, if you are using XP it has reached it end of life and no longer supported.

"After 12 years, support for Windows XP will end on April 8, 2014.  There will be no more security updates or technical support for the Windows XP operating system. It is very important that customers and partners migrate to a modern operating system such as Windows 8.1.           

Customers moving to a modern operating system will benefit from dramatically enhanced security, broad device choice for a mobile workforce, higher user productivity, and a lower total cost of ownership through improved management capabilities. "

http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx

As a resoluition, you may try to run a portable rootkit\antivirus software on your machine to remove the virus. then repair it. Else re-installation seems to be only solution. 

Regards,

Satyajit

Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Friday, January 2, 2015 11:52 AM