none
Change Tracking Method RRS feed

• Question

• Project Server 2010

Under Server Settings -> Task Settings and Display, our server is currently set to the following:

• Tracking Method - Hours of work done per period
    • Force project managers to use the progress reporting method specified above.
    • Project User Updates - Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets.

This is too restrictive for us given our current use of Project Server and I want to simplify things by allowing project managers to update tasks themselves.  My thought were to change the Tracking Method to Free Form, uncheck the "Force project managers..." and uncheck the "Only allow tasks updates..." 

If I do this:

1. Will this allow a PM to assign a task to an individual, but simply update % complete in the plan, rather than the individual updating it via a timesheet?
    2. Will any existing timeline/task/project be impacted by making these changes?
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 6:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

1. Yes, the PM will be able to assign task to resources and update it with actual work or 100% complete directly in MS Project Pro.

2. Changing those settings will not impact in any ways the existing projects/tasks.

That being said, it means that you will not ask anymore the users to update by themselves their tasks (which can be questionned in term of project management best practices), so you don't need anymore the task and timesheet pages.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Thursday, June 9, 2016 7:26 AM